savat
Expert
portfolio
salvo triolo
Italy

Send a message via MSN to savat

3ds max 2014: slow SAVE times

Hi all,
is very frustrating to wait for a long save or autosave time!
Some one have the same problem?

Old 05-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
robinb
Expert

Well you can skip autosaves now by hitting Escape. Not much of a solution, but might help when you get interupted by an autosave when you don't want one.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
savat
Expert
portfolio
salvo triolo
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb
Well you can skip autosaves now by hitting Escape. Not much of a solution, but might help when you get interupted by an autosave when you don't want one.

Hi robin,
unfortunately pressing esc when max is working with all 100% of cpu can obtain only one thing...its crash (max 2014 guide not explane better this argument )

My problem is a bit different...I need to save and I love to have a file back saved every 5 minutes, they save my life more then a time but 3 minutes for every "save" action is too time consuming.

After a google research I solved my problem:
digiting:

trackViewNodes[#Max_MotionClip_Manager].track = copy trackViewNodes[#Max_MotionClip_Manager].track

then digiting:

gc()

I'm able to purge (like autocad) all the hidden Note Tracks.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Dancem
portfolio
Dance Macabre
Kiyv, Ukraine

Have same problem. Pretty heavy scene with a lot of objects (175Mb filesize) have saving time 15-20 seconds in 3ds MAX 2014, and only 2-3 seconds in 3ds MAX 2013.

Fresh, empty scene, with only one editable mesh (4mil triangles) have saving time 2 seconds in 2014, and 0.25 seconds in 2013.

Quote:
trackViewNodes[#Max_MotionClip_Manager].track = copy trackViewNodes[#Max_MotionClip_Manager].track then digiting: gc()

Script not working for me, returning "-- Unknown property: "track" in undefined"

I used SSD with >400Mbytes/s write speed, so it is only 3dsmax problem.

With such huge file saving time it is not possible to use 3ds MAX 2014 for serious work - 4 minutes of work, and 1 minute of waiting while it autosaving (and please do not sugges me to turn off autosave, MAX is too unstable to work without it).

Would be glad to hear any advices.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
savat
Expert
portfolio
salvo triolo
Italy

Old 09-03-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Similar problem here on 2014. It's the first time I've experienced it, today coincidentally. And it just happened out of the blue, as I'd been working on the scene file for about an hour without any problems.

I've tried: New>keep objects and hierarchy, pasting the mentioned script into the listener, and the cleaner script.....nothing has worked.

Although, clearing the note tracks has reduced the filesize by 75%, but now the viewport has dropped to a much slower framerate.

Plus the filesave is still horribly slow.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Dancem
portfolio
Dance Macabre
Kiyv, Ukraine

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by savat

Thanks, nice script, but it didn't help at all. All counters on zero (except "retimer=1").

But I have new information. I had found, where differences between packages are.

At first, 3dsmax2014 every time is saving FULL file to HDD. 3dsmax2013 is saving scene changes only, as I see. Every time when I am pressing Ctrl+S, 3dsmax2014 is writing 175Mb (scene filesize) on my HDD. It takes 16-20 seconds And 3dsmax2013 is writing near 10Mb only (1-2 sec). I see it in task manager HDD activity window.

At second, in 3dsmax2013, when I am saving scene as new file with new filename, is writing 175Mb on HDD, but after few seconds I can continue my work, even if file is still writing from cache to HDD. But 3dsmax2014 is FREEZING and waiting, while all file (same 175Mb) will be written on HDD (why it is doing this???)

Because of this two reasons 3ds max 2014 is so sloooooowwwww on saving. 3dsmax2014 completely useless, if you working with heavy scenes without SSD drive. And it have this problem after TWO! (x2) Service Packs.

I took scene with 380Mb filesize. When I am saving scene to my RAID5 HDD array (yeah, I know, RAID5 is pretty slow):

3dsmax2014, new filename - 59 seconds
3dsmax2014, same file, no scene changes - 55 seconds

3dsmax2013, new filename - 60 seconds
3dsmax2013, same file, no scene changes - 4 seconds

I have SSD for RAID caching, I really helps for 3dsmax2013, but not for 3dsmax2014 - it still waiting for data to be written (Why, God, why!!??)

3dsmax2014, new filename, SSD caching - 47 seconds
3dsmax2014, same file, no scene changes, SSD caching - 52 seconds

3dsmax2013, new filename, SSD caching - 7 seconds
3dsmax2013, same file, no scene changes, SSD caching - 5 seconds

(I know, that I can reduce filesize by turning on "Compress on save" option, but it will take more time to save smaller scenes, because of compressing time)

2014:

2013:

Old 01-03-2014, 04:16 AM   #8
poorna
Veteran

portfolio
poorna jayasinghe
Architectural Visualizer
Colombo, Sri Lanka

I hAve tHE SAME pROBLEM :(

Hi All,

When I Upgraded to Max Design 2014, All Files saving times Are increased, Some of the files saving time are long like 3-4 Mins. No any notetrack issues or retimer isues..

Also same on Aoutosaving.. (PC Config- Dell T5500, quadro 6000, 24Gb Ram, SSD)

same files on 3Dsmax 2012 working Normal without ANY single issue..

Do anyone Know the Solution For this?

Real !

web -
www.poorna.co.nr
e-mail - poornajaya@gmail.com
phone - +94 773 067908

Old 01-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
jedie
Expert
portfolio
jens d.
jojo, Germany

A good idea is to display what max doing on save: List every steps. -> http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/...save-status-bar

Old 01-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #10
nabhanmo
portfolio

accidentally solved the problem

hi guys,
i have the same problem and i've made my peace with it :P
anyway something happened to me once and fixed a file that had the same problem
i'll tell you the problem and if someone interested i can send u the file maybe it'd help to find a solution,
i was working on a file that shouldn't be more than 20-30mb but somehow after adding some blocks from another files it reached 380mb and it was taking forever with the autosave

during an autosave using max2013 i hit ESC and the file crashed and asked me to save a recover backup, i said yes and the pc stucked
i restart the windows,

the original file was corrupted
but the recovery file was ok and its size were 13mb only
i open it , everything was ok except that all the maps in the materials had lost its information
not only the location of the maps, but even the name of it
so when i open a material to relocate the map it didnt have the map's name, it says just
"JPEG FILE"
so i had to re-choose them one by one, but the file was fine and had no problem with the size and the saving time , and by the time i finished the scene and after adding some objects and all modifications and re-texturing. the file size was around 30mb had no problems at all.
i hope this might give someone and idea of how to fix the problem
here's my email incase anyone wanted the files
m.nabhan@live.com

Old 01-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
MGernot
Expert

portfolio
Gernot Melichar
Austria

Just made a test:
Saving a 724MB 3dsmax file on a normal HDD takes 8-10sec on my machine.
3dsmax2014 SP3, Windows7 64Bit

And 3dsmax2013 doesn`t support canceling autosave. This feature was introduced with the 2014 release.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread