Compression artifacts in nuke

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Compression artifacts in nuke

Hi everyone,
How can I add compression artifacts in Nuke? I need to add them so my CG render will match the live-action plate

Thanks,
JamesNZ

- Jesus

05 May 2013
Considering that compression artifacts are specific to whatever codec was used to compress your live-action plate and I have really never heard of anything that replicates such artifacts, I would probably try to get the encoding information for the live-action plate and then run the CG renders through the same process.

It may sound a bit quick'n'dirty but if your live-action plates are so heavily compressed that you have to worry not just about noise/grain, chromatic aberration and whatnot but actual compression artifacts, I'd say it was dirty to begin with already

05 May 2013
the genarts saphire plugins have a node for jppeg compression, but that is maybe a little bit overpriced for this effect only

you could also blur your BG footage to a really extrem level (200 and more) and make difference between the blured version and the original. then you get a lot of the compression artifacts which can be merged over the CG stuff

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by sh4dow: It may sound a bit quick'n'dirty but if your live-action plates are so heavily compressed that you have to worry not just about noise/grain, chromatic aberration and whatnot but actual compression artifacts, I'd say it was dirty to begin with already

Heh, yes it was heavily compressed

Originally Posted by pingking: you could also blur your BG footage to a really extrem level (200 and more) and make difference between the blured version and the original. then you get a lot of the compression artifacts which can be merged over the CG stuff

That sounds a bit promising, will try it, thanks

- Jesus

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread