Making a node undeletable/unrenameable?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Unhappy Making a node undeletable/unrenameable?

Pretty simple. I got a rig where I don't want animators capable deleting particular things. Is it possible to take an piece of geometry, for example, and it isn't deleteable and shows the same alert message one would get like deleting a the default ortho cameras or time1 node or layermanager?

05 May 2013
If the animators are referencing the rig then they can't delete the meshes? If they are not referencing the rig I'd suggest beating them until they do

Cheers,
Brian

05 May 2013
Hey, Brian. Yeah I guess that's true about the referencing. But plenty of guys will want to mod the rig and I got some important geometry in there that simply look like something that was forgotten to be deleted before delivering. I think I'll just name the object itself "Do_not_delete". That'll do.

Still it would be interesting if there was someone who knew the answer.

05 May 2013
The only thing I can think of is maybe having a script job that loads with the rig and checks all the time to see if the object was deleted and then throws up an error and runs an undo command. Haven't tried it myself but I guess that's possible. It might slow things down though I'd imagine.

A lot of rigs just have a 'do not touch' group in there as you said. Other things you can do are to go to the shape node and in the Display Overrides set it to Reference or Template. That will make it more difficult for animators to select that mesh in the viewport and is more secure than just having it on a display layer.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 05 May 2013 at 01:38 AM.

05 May 2013
You can lock a node using the lockNode command so you can't delete or rename it for instance.
May be what you need?
http://download.autodesk.com/global...s/lockNode.html

05 May 2013
^ Wow, very cool. Wasn't aware of that command at all. Well, I learned something today.

Cheers,
Brian

05 May 2013
I should read the manual more. Like directions and maps while driving, I guess.

Much appreciated. An angel gets it's wings now thanks to you guys.

05 May 2013
I tried lockNode for a while. Ended up being a pain to work with.
And those animators are smarter than I gave them credit for Didnt take long before one of them figured out how to unlock stuff, told the others, and suddenly we were back to where we started.
Referencing is the way to go for sure.

David

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread