<Shipwrecked> How do i go on achieving my animation dreams from here?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2014
Unhappy <Shipwrecked> How do i go on achieving my animation dreams from here?

Hello Guys,
Im 21 years old this year and residing in Singapore. I've been living on my own since 17 years , so all living expenses are paid by me. I have some delays in my education because im forced to deal with life and work ever since. And i am currently a freelance bartender.
In year 2014 im gonna to start up my own site selling my traditional paintings. However my ultimate goal is to work in Animation Industry as a background/layout artist + Storyboard artist due to my new found ability & growing interest in painting. I have been to a polytechnic school and done a year of animation before withdrawing to be a self taught artist.

But now im lost in the oceans. Because i just realize i can't get into any Singapore University for Bachelor Degree even if i complete a Diploma from private animation school such as CG Protege/MAGES. Because they only accept graduates from the 5 Local Polytechnic in SG.

Which means i have to study overseas. I don't mind living anywhere else in the world. But considering that i am a singapore citizen and i rent rooms, it is hard for me to move to US/Canada. I can work as bartender there with a Visa. But living on my own in a foreign country can be hard.

So i am considering an Online School at Academy of Art University in either Animation & Visual Effects or Illustration or Visual Development. I can still work part time and be on time for my studies after work.

The whole Bachelor cost is about $80-$100k . Which means i will end up being in debts for few years. And i dont know if its even necessary to go study 3D animator modules when all i wanna do is more to concept art , storyboard and lots of painting for character/BG.

Is there a path for me to reach my dreams without having a Degree/education?
My strengths is that im a people person , hardworking , quick learner , loves to paint , eye for detail. Im someone who my classmate often comes to me for their studio Project Story ideas and their 2D animation evaluation. And i find myself painting after cartoon episodes frame by frame and eventually making them into a comic myself. That just me. I seem to also have the talent at looking one's digital painting and mimic them in traditional style. And of cos most of the time i tend to have the ability to figure out myself how to animate(in terms of technique) during 2D Animation lessons before the Disney lecture even tell the class how to.

My point is , where do i go on from here as a self taught artist who resides in Singapore but do not have the finance to study/travel? For someone who has so much potential to grow and learn yet tied down by money issues and because its Singapore , education becomes an issue because they don't look at portfolio but Education Certificate before considering me an admission to University. Which means even though i can do 2D animation , zBrush scuplture , basic 3D modeling , human & figure drawing , storyboarding & painting. It wont matter..

If there is someone out there , experienced and been through my kind of situation & is willing to mentor me , please contact me. I'll give 101% Effort to reach my dreams at all cost(no stupid decisions though).

01 January 2014
Are you talking about Singapore Dollars or US Dollars? Either way, I would recommend against picking up that much debt for an online animation degree.

01 January 2014
Unhappy

Its in San Francisco school in US. Total 4 year fees is USD $80k+ , in SGD it would be already $101k+

02 February 2014
Hey mate,

Just my opinion, and mine only- but almost everything I've had success with in life (including my current career as a Pipeline TD) came from things I taught myself in my spare time. I really don't see the value of schooling anymore... but hey, maybe that's just me as I'm self taught anyways.
I *can* see the value in having classmates and colleagues around you to help motivate you--- but spending a fortune on that...? maybe you'd be better to rent a shared office place and then teach your self from there?

as a matte painter / concept / artist as you've mentioned, jobs are VERY competitive, and it all boils down to your PORTFOLIO and not your education. You need to have a few really killer artworks, and that's what will get you in.

04 April 2014
My advice would be to just work on the work in your portfolio and make sure that they're at least somewhat out there with those that make you go "WOW". As artists, we are very harsh to ourselves when it comes to giving our works some critics and even some other people's works. So look at some of your work and see if it makes you feel even just a tiny bit proud and if it looks like it could be put next to some of those that make you go "WOW".

Make sure you also work on your skills. Then just start applying for jobs and I assure you that your portfolio will be more important than your education (and looked at first)!! No point in having a degree when you have the work of an amateur etc. That's the great thing about the creative industry. Education is not important as long as you have the skills required for the job and have work to showcase those skills!!

Good luck to you.

reply share thread