How to make the object "pop-out" in 3D ????

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
How to make the object "pop-out" in 3D ????

hi
i searched a lot on how to create a stereoscopic 3D videos in 3ds max and make the object for example "Pepsi can" floating around in 3D while using Nvidia 3D glasses, but all what i got is the depth and the Pepsi can flat on the screen and no "pop out" effect appear to be seen , i want to make 3D pop out effect like that in Nvidia 3D logo in the setup wizard ,i like it and i want to create my own 3D logo to pop out like what Nvidia 3D logo does
i tried many 3Ds max stereoscopic script but it seems to create the depth effect even when i moved the object toward the camera no "pop out" effect seen
any ideas or tutorials or someone tried to make the 3D object pop out from the screen ??, and is it need to be done usin' 3Ds max alone or with other software like Adobe After Effect ??
please help and sorry for my bad English

04 April 2013
You need to adjust your convergence point. The two cameras point at the same location, objects behind this point look like they are inside the screen (like a window) objects in front appear to be coming out of the screen.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by darthviper107: You need to adjust your convergence point. The two cameras point at the same location, objects behind this point look like they are inside the screen (like a window) objects in front appear to be coming out of the screen.

hi darthviper107

i've tried this as i said by bring the object toward the camera but nothing happened, and most of the scripts create two cameras with slightly different in position, the target point is on the object, so moving the object back and forward to camera shall do the 3D 'pop out' effect but in my case just the depth and the object flat on the screen

04 April 2013
The target should not be on the object, it should be static, so you would move the object in between the cameras and the camera target

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by darthviper107: The target should not be on the object, it should be static, so you would move the object in between the cameras and the camera target

Havent had the opportunity to stereoscopic 3D yet, but i sure am interested in it.

This is intresting to know... but wouldnt this give problems if you use depth of field? Since depth of field uses the target as focus point in most render engines? So if you move the object away from the camera target it becomes out of focus.

04 April 2013
The convergence point is simply the point in space where the two camera lines meet, it's not necessarily the target of your DOF

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by darthviper107: The convergence point is simply the point in space where the two camera lines meet, it's not necessarily the target of your DOF

I always thought have different focus points for each eye would result in some weirdness like doubling or something... seems my logic was wrong.

Thanks for the tips!

04 April 2013
i found this here in this forum

coming off screen
Right eye = objects shift to the left
Left eye = objects shift to the right

going into the screen
Right eye = objects shift to the right
Left eye = objects shift to the left
is this help here ??

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by CHRiTTeR: I always thought have different focus points for each eye would result in some weirdness like doubling or something... seems my logic was wrong.

Thanks for the tips!

You'd think that would be weird, in real life you get a double image on everything that you aren't focused on but for 3D it just changes where you perceive the depth in relation to the screen.

Originally Posted by assassino: i found this here in this forum

coming off screen
Right eye = objects shift to the left
Left eye = objects shift to the right

going into the screen
Right eye = objects shift to the right
Left eye = objects shift to the left
is this help here ??

All you have to remember is that both cameras are pointed at a location in space, things in front of that appear to come out and things behind that appear to be going in

04 April 2013
This is a simple task actually. As previously said, your two cameras look at the same target point. That target point stays on the screen plane. The objects that fall behind the target seem to behind the screen and those that fall closer to you than the target point slowly pops out of screen.

A shortcoming here however, lies in the size of your screen and the very nature of perspective concept. As the objects get closer they get bigger and as yourself have already stated, the left and right version of the objects become more and more separated eventually causing two major problems:

1. Your eyes can look parallel at most which means, if the distance of the left right copies of objects exceeds your eye separation, you'll be looking like this (assuming your eyes are at the bottom: \ / So eye distance is the critical separation limit and eye strain increases as object distance gets closer to your eye distance. (Keep in mind that as you move farther away from screen, object separation will be reduced due to your distance, because everything gets smaller by distance.)

2. The more you pop out objects, the bigger they become and at some point it will reach the edges of your monitor and kill the 3D effect.

The problem nr.2 should bring you to the inevitable conclusion that you need a larger display in order to bring objects more close to your nose. Depending of your screen size and size of objects, you may not achieve the pop out thing.

It's more possible to pop out water drops or asteroids (particles) than a should-be-seen-large* objects.
*Assume you're trying to bring an excel graph to the front. You need it big, centered on screen, but it will fill all your screen. Unless you place your graph at a very small size relative to your screen, you can't pop it out an inch. A plane of size equal to half of the screen (on screen) will not possibly move out of screen to an extent to even quarter of the distance between you and the monitor. It gets seprated and also gets bigger. It's only a matter of a few inches before the graph edges reach the edge of your monitor.

Then how they do in IMAX? How on earth a large object like the infinite ocean come close as the back of the seat in front of you?

Now consider this:

Although object separation seems to be the key in more popping out, it actually isn't.
"No matter how much the left right separation is, you can only bear a separation like your eyes."
The highest relative separation between left-right objects doesn't exceed your eyes' in fine 3D. Even less. Go to an IMAX theatre, take off your glasses and see for yourself. If you measure the distance between the separated objects on the screen it is large but since you re far from screen separation is small.

DOF is not a problem in 3D, you can force any plane to be in focus or out of focus. The thing is, the viewers have an option to target their eyes to any of the planes while viewing, to the screen plane, inside the screen or outside, and if any object is blurred, then they see some blurred object inside or outside (wherever), for sure you can move a tennis ball to the viewers' nose while blurring the background and it will attract more attention to the ball. But as I say, since the viewer can target any plane, it's probably best to keep all in focus.

Let me tell you something astonishing: (a very normal phenomenon actually, however spend some time on this
I have myopia; the eye disorder that you can see close objects in focus while the farther ones not. I was viewing a landscape photo with a 3d slide viewer. You may have seen one of these.
Now, one of the shots was taken from behind a fence, mountains in the ditance. Although the images are all shot with high F-stops, which means all plans are completely in focus in the slide, the close fence object was crisp to my eyes while mountains in distance were hard to distinguish.
Let me make a comment on the subject, stupid like those on "Nefertiti Revealed" documentry on Discovery Channel: "Was it a natural phenomenon or was it that there is no eye-disorder but our brain that creates all the disorders?"

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread