New Apple Laptop or Dell, Hp...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2012
For 3D Work, use Quadro better than gaming cards.

You have different drivers than on gaming cards, better prepare to work with software like Maya, 3D Max, etc,...

07 July 2012
like I said, that's only an issue on Windows and Linux. On OS X, the gaming cards get full support for pro apps and work perfectly. If you file a bug for Maya with a Radeon/Geforce with a Mac, it will get fixed, whereas it will probably be avoided on Windows or Linux.

I'm running a dual boot Linux/Windows 7 box and got tired of swapping out my gaming card so I just deal with the problems with the Radeon in pro apps. Maya's Viewport 2 doesn't work for me with the 7950 in Linux but it works fine with every Mac Radeon or Geforce I've used, even my laptops.

Last edited by cgbeige : 07 July 2012 at 02:15 AM.

07 July 2012
Radeon it´s a gaming card.

Also Nvidia cards are above AMD ones (Radeon/Fire Pro).

If you want 3D power , go for a Quadro. You will haver certificated drivers for the software (Maya, Zbrush, 3D Max, Autocad, etc,....)

Also if you use After Effects, Premiere or any other software that uses CUDA tech.

Very recomended.

07 July 2012
Dell or Hp workstation laptops are more sturdy and a little bit more handsome than other crap plastic PC notebooks, but they've no resale value at all and hey, they're quite heavy at 8-9 lbs including the adapter. These days that's a joke. Walking around with a itx form factor PC and an 17" led screen would make equally sense.

07 July 2012
The Radeon isn't just a gaming card on OS X - you get full support for pro apps (bug fixes for Maya, etc) , like you would with a Quadro. This is the whole point of buying a Quadro: support. The hardware is irrelevant. I know because I deal with Apple and AMD all the time to address issues with pro apps in OS X, and there aren't many at all. There are some glitches in Mountain Lion because it introduces changes to the driver but they will probably all be fixed by 10.8.1 because THEY ARE SUPPORTED. Thanks anyway, Unixflow.

I own a Quadro as well. I know what I'm talking about.

07 July 2012
The hardware is not irrelevant.

And also is not irrelevant that OSX doesn´t support Open GL 4.1....

And with a professional laptop from HP, Dell or Lenovo you also have professional support. A technician will go in 24 where do you work in case you need it.

You know, professional support, not need to go to a mall to ask a "genius" about your problem.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

07 July 2012
Nvidia's quadro cards are overrated and a rip-off imho

07 July 2012
Quote: And also is not irrelevant that OSX doesn´t support Open GL 4.1....

You have until Fall 2012 for that to be true. It's coming in an OS X update. In the meantime, show me one professional program that uses OpenGL 4.1.

Quote: You know, professional support, not need to go to a mall to ask a "genius" about your problem.

ya, I know about on-site warranties. They are what adds $4000 to the cost of a Mac Pro made by PC vendors. That's also what you don't get with a Precision laptop. So you get to mail them something, not go to a shop and have your thing fixed in a couple days.

Last edited by cgbeige : 07 July 2012 at 08:29 PM.

08 August 2012
Sorry, I just bump in after reading the last posts... I beg to disagree here. Dell on-site support is amazing. They come to your place, fix the machine or if they cant, replace it completly in few hours. Very good service. I've seen it with my own eyes. You can get the on-site support with anything you buy for a small fee. Nothing expensive like AppleCare.

Still, a Dell is not a retina macpro! However, if you got a good deal with coupons, go for it. It'll do the job nicely.

08 August 2012
Originally Posted by UnixFlow: For 3D Work, use Quadro better than gaming cards.

You have different drivers than on gaming cards, better prepare to work with software like Maya, 3D Max, etc,...

I guess you're new around here... Most people on this forum already know better than that.

08 August 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread