Houdini Ocean Toolkit for Maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2016
Good point about the displacement connection. I will update the readme file.

Did you test it with vray 3.3? I'm not sure if I need to recompile it for the update. We haven't switched at work yet so I couldn't test it.

Nico

03 March 2016
Originally Posted by colt: Did you test it with vray 3.3?

Yup I'm on 3.3, works a charm!

05 May 2016
Added Windows/Maya 2016Ext2 for the deformer and MR shader. No Linux, if somebody desperately needs it let me know.
How time flies...

05 May 2016
I think I speak for everyone here Nico when I say thanks so much for these updates and staying on top of things.

05 May 2016
Originally Posted by colt: Good point about the displacement connection. I will update the readme file.

Did you test it with vray 3.3?

Nico

Hey Nico,

Thanks for this plugin! I'm having trouble with the VRay Shader, using VRay 3.3 in Maya 2016sp5. It shows up fine in the 2D Textures list, but when I add it in Hypershade i get these errors:

shadingNode -asTexture VRayHotOcean;
// Result: VRayHotOcean2 //
shadingNode -asUtility place2dTexture;
// Result: place2dTexture2 //
connectAttr place2dTexture2.outUV VRayHotOcean2.uv;
// Result: Connected place2dTexture2.outUV to VRayHotOcean2.uvCoord. //
connectAttr place2dTexture2.outUvFilterSize VRayHotOcean2.uvFilterSize;
// Result: Connected place2dTexture2.outUvFilterSize to VRayHotOcean2.uvFilterSize. //
// Error: ERROR: Could not create plugin TexHotOcean ! //
// Warning: Unsupported texture VRayHotOcean //
// Warning: Unsupported texture VRayHotOcean //

Any ideas what's going wrong?
Thanks!

06 June 2016
Hello, yes.. great plugin! We used it in a project and worked perfectly!

I am having the same issue as Uniel:

06 June 2016
This is usually the case when Vray can't find the .dll from the shader, because the environment variable is not set up correctly.
Check by using
getenv "VRAY_FOR_MAYA2016_PLUGINS_x64"
as mel code. It should point to the folder with the dll.

You could also try copying the .dll into vrays bin folder.

If that does not work either take a look at vrays output when the plugin is loaded. It should print something like this:

[2016/Jun/22|11:44:54] V-Ray: V-Ray core version is 3.25.01
[2016/Jun/22|11:44:54] V-Ray: Loading plugins from "C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2016/vray/vrayplugins/vray_*.dll"
[2016/Jun/22|11:44:57] V-Ray: 74 plugin(s) loaded successfully
[2016/Jun/22|11:44:57] V-Ray: Loading plugins from "C:/Users/administrator/Documents/maya/2016/modules/Houdini_Ocean_Toolkit/vray/vrayplugins/vray_*.dll"
[2016/Jun/22|11:44:57] V-Ray: 1 plugin(s) loaded successfully

If it finds the .dll but has a problem loading it, there will be an error message there.

Cheers,
Nico

06 June 2016
Hello Nico, thank you very much for your response.

That did it!! I actually copied both files (txt and dll) into various directories until it loaded correctly your vray example scene.

Thanks!! =)

André.

11 November 2016
Hej Nico,

Just wanted to check if there's any chance of a 2017 build anytime soon?

Cheers /D

11 November 2016
Hi David,

with the new BOSS system in Maya 2017 I was thinking that HOT is rather outdated now and not needed anymore.
And it feels kind of that way since you are only the second person asking for a Maya 2017 version, even though 2017 is available for some time now. Usually people start mailing me as soon as a new Maya is released.

So, did you look at BOSS? Is it a valid successor? I only played with it, nothing serious. But it does look quite promising.

Cheers,
Nico

11 November 2016
Originally Posted by colt: Hi David,

with the new BOSS system in Maya 2017 I was thinking that HOT is rather outdated now and not needed anymore.
And it feels kind of that way since you are only the second person asking for a Maya 2017 version, even though 2017 is available for some time now. Usually people start mailing me as soon as a new Maya is released.

So, did you look at BOSS? Is it a valid successor? I only played with it, nothing serious. But it does look quite promising.

Cheers,
Nico

Hey Nico,

Well partly I agree, but partly I disagree. One of the major perks of boss is that it can combine spectral waves with collisions, and also easily influense a bifrost sim, but that we can do with hot too.

The thing is though, that I don't see them as competitors. I see boss as something I use when I know I'm going to sim, and then I get simulated liquid for foam etc. But when I use HOT it's more of a procedural approach that doesn't have time for sim, and it also has capabilities that boss doesn't have like access to vertex colors, presets etc. So for me it's two different things.

If you find that the interest is so low I completely understand that you don't want to spend more time release more versions especially since maya updates so often these days, just wanted to give my two cents. All in all thanks for the effort!

12 December 2016
Allright ... I made a Maya 2017 compile for windows. The fun thing is that although I created and maintain this thing for 7 Years now, I personally never used it in any production. So I can't really judge how it competes with other tools, i.e. Boss.

The new compile feels kind of slow, but I don't have older Mayas on my new machine so I couldn't compare it.
I even managed to get it to work partially with the parallel mode, as long as you don't use the vertex colors. It still is slower than DG mode, because it somehow evaluates twice per frame.
But all in all I think the code needs an overhaul for all the api changes, which I lack the time and dedication to do. On the other hand I find it amazing that it still works after all these Maya versions. Autodesk really keeps some things backwards compatible.

If somebody desperately needs a linux version let me know. Since nobody wanted one for 2016 Ext2 I didn't do one for 2017.

Cheers,
Nico

12 December 2016
very cool to see this implemented!

10 October 2017
It seems some people still use this so I added updates for Maya2018 and Mtoa 2.x. Win64 only for now.
Parallel mode is now twice as fast as in Maya2018, even with the same code. Interesting. So the the double evaluation in Maya2017 wasn't my fault but Autodesks.
Vertex colors now work in parallel mode too (but that was my fault).

Cheers,
Nico

10 October 2017
Thanks Nico, 
waiting for linux version. 

reply share thread