Old 08-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
Rotab3D
Senior Environment Artist

portfolio
Mohamed Rotab
Egypt

Send a message via MSN to Rotab3D
Urgent Please , Can this unit perform as a render farm ?!

Hello guy ,
I was just wondering if this unit can serve as a render farm for my 3ds max + vray renderings

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...:X:eRTM:US:1123

Thank you ,
BestRegards .

Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

Sure, maybe not the best option but they'll run Max and mental ray.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Rotab3D

portfolio
Mohamed Rotab
Egypt

What do you mean by not the best option ... and what are the other options available .. considering the price/performance value ..

Thank you for your reply

Old 08-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

They are slow quad core processors from early 2010. If you have to pay software licenses per machine they're a huge waste of money. If you don't have to pay software license per node they would get the job done.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Rotab3D

portfolio
Mohamed Rotab
Egypt

Ah i see .. it's six core processors .. Thank you for your advice

Old 08-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Unless he's changed the link, hes linking to an ebay auction for 4x 6 core dual xeon machines with 24 gigs ram each. Unless im missing something, for $1200 total, hes getting 2.2ghz 12 core machines for $300 per node.

If you dont mind the noise, heat and software licences, I'd buy them. All they need is a harddrive and an OS.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
olson
Houdini|Python|Linux
portfolio
Luke Olson
Dallas, USA

My bad, was looking at the L5630, not the L5639. Like I said in the last post, I wouldn't buy unless you don't have to pay for additional render licenses or software licenses. Windows licenses alone would be $600 (as low as $350 depending on who you trust to buy from), plus at least another $200 for hard disks.

Last edited by olson : 08-30-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

The scary thing about buying used proprietary rackmount gear that is out of warranty or has a limited short warranty, is what do you do if a part fails?

Say a power supply or motherboard goes out? What do you do? Assuming Dell still carries an old part, they'd be happy to sell you that 1100 watt power supply for $600 or a new replacement motherboard for $800-1000. I've seen it happen though where they no longer stock a part and your only option is (surprise ) buy a new machine from them. It's brilliant. They control all the cards about the viability of your high end rack machine.

It's a risk to buy any of the used rackmount gear out of warranty. The machines could work out GREAT and be an excellent purchase, but even high end server-grade equipment fails. IMO some of those servers are pretty fantastic deals, but as olson pointed out, also consider how much your render licenses and render farm distribution software costs per node.

It'll be interesting to see where the open-source hardware that Google, Facebook, and Intel are developing takes us. IMO that'll be the way to go for render farms down the road. Hardware will be standardized and prices will have to come down to lure people to replace an entire machine vs replacing a bad part themselves.

That's a huge reason why I love DIY small render farms. Everything in the consumer PC space is standardized, but ironically not the professional hardware space because right now Dell, HP, etc want to sell you their complete proprietary solution and get you locked into relying on their warranty instead of having your own staff replace a bad part.

If it catches on, soon renderfarms that buy 20 or so $7000+ machines each year will have enough cost savings with open-source hardware to be better off hiring a full time IT person to build, manage, and service the render farm machines than to hand all the money to Dell for unserviceable machines that depend on their warranty to function.

Last edited by sentry66 : 09-01-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Fair enough, but even if half the machines fail the day after he buys it, for the price it would still be worth it.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread