Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
JoeC
portfolio
Joe Connell
Graphic Artist
US

Need a bit of advice

Hi there everyone,
My company produces a biblical kids magazine. we do 2 main stories about different bible characters. we have been using poser 2012 and vue 10 studio to "create" or characters in their respective scene. what we want to do is get away from that poser attempt at realism and go for a more cartoon approach. this is were I need the advice.

I can draw a cartoon character with mixed results but it gets the idea of what I want him or her to look like. knowing this what software or direction would you recommend I should pursue? this next magazine I am just drawing the characters into the magazine. I would like to produce a cleaner character in 3D but still have as much control when It comes to clothes and character design. so here are the questions.

What software direction should I pursue?
How can I transfer my drawn ideas to 3D?
(and the overwhelming one)
Where do I start????????

Software I have available: Cinema 4D, Poser 2012, Vue 10 Studio, CS6 photoshop and illustrator

Old 03-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
JoeC
portfolio
Joe Connell
Graphic Artist
US

just trying to find a good start for a noob

Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
XLNT-3d
Be Water My Friend

portfolio
Jon Anderson
Creative that gets stuff done
Stevensville, USA

just model and rig cartoon characters with the software you have. Does C4d have a toon shader? If you need more detail, add mudbox or zbrush to your arsenal.

In the end, it may be faster to just draw the images rather than working in 3d and going through the whole modeling, texturing, rigging, lighting and composition process. However, if you have a large amount of time and not too worried about the ROI (return on investment) of time versus budget, do the whole thing in 3d and shade as a cartoon 3d look or use a 2d toon shader to give it a flat 2d look.

Sometimes I just use a character package to mock up positions and camera angles, then paint right over the renderings to create the images in Photoshop or Illustrator depending on what look I am going for and how much time I actually want to invest.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLNT-3d
just model and rig cartoon characters with the software you have..

That's probbaly the simplest way. Poser and DAZ have cartoon characters available afaik.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
JoeC
portfolio
Joe Connell
Graphic Artist
US

hey guys thx for the reply. I didnt know you could model in poser or daz. I know you can morph characters that are all ready modeled, but to create a character from scratch is different. I am willing to put time in to learn, I just dont even know where to begin.

Iv'e never used cinema 4D before so Im not sure if its worth learning that or going to something else.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #6
XLNT-3d
Be Water My Friend

portfolio
Jon Anderson
Creative that gets stuff done
Stevensville, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC
hey guys thx for the reply. I didnt know you could model in poser or daz. I know you can morph characters that are all ready modeled, but to create a character from scratch is different. I am willing to put time in to learn, I just dont even know where to begin.

Iv'e never used cinema 4D before so I'm not sure if its worth learning that or going to something else.

I meant to model and rig in Cinema 4D. Check out Zbrush and/or Mudbox. If you have never modeled before, it's hard to guestimate your learning curve. I don't know how well Poser or DAZ will function as a modeler, but there must be some tutorials out there somewhere.

You might want to focus on the hand drawn method as a definite and experiment a little with the 3d thing. Once you get into it, you can find yourself getting deeper and deeper and time will zip past. Sometimes, it works out great. Other times, it can feel like a tar pit and the harder you work, the more jumbled things get. In the end, if you are determined, I am sure you will accomplish what you are after.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Just like the others said if I was you I would use what you have. C4D is a really good application that is favored by beginners and pro users alike. Poser and DAZ are not modelling applications.

If your heart is set on 3d there are two approaches you can take. You can search youtube for character tutorials for c4d. This will take you quite a long time because you wont know much about working in 3d. Or, you can do what I do when I have to learn new software and go straight to the getting started tutorials and do as many of them as you can. If you start at the beginning you will have a better understanding of the software and the process.

I taught C4D for 3 years to media students and I am pleased to see the character section of the program has vastly improved in the latest versions, and it will do what you want and way more.

The software part is one aspect though. To create attractive characters that communicate and function well is another story the impact of which will depend on you expectations.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
JoeC
portfolio
Joe Connell
Graphic Artist
US

I think you are all right. I am going to concentrate on the drawing side of things. "Practice makes perfect" right? I know I have the drive and creative ability to learn C4D but we are in a production environment also. I still really want to learn the 3D side of things, I think it could open so much more possibilities for us here. My company will let me install C4D if I want so...why not?

Thx again and just to let everyone know, I love the art work people show here on the forum. it truly is inspiring.

Joe C.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC
Hi there everyone,
My company produces a biblical kids magazine. we do 2 main stories about different bible characters.

Ive always wondered how The Bible is considered appropriate reading for kids...but that's an entire other kettle of fish.

Terrence Walker's tutorial DVD's have some really excellent techniques on creating 'stylized' content using the programs you mentioned. Take a look at http://www.studioartfx.com/ArtFXshop/Anigen/Anigen.html . While his stuff is aimed at animation, you could very easily use the same techniques to make a still comic.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
JoeC
portfolio
Joe Connell
Graphic Artist
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke
Ive always wondered how The Bible is considered appropriate reading for kids...but that's an entire other kettle of fish.

The Bible has SO many great characters and lessons for life. The bible can be overwhelming, but if you take the time to tell the stories, it can be quite exciting and educational. it is just one of many ways to get kids into their bible and want to know more.

Quote:
Terrence Walker's tutorial DVD's have some really excellent techniques on creating 'stylized' content using the programs you mentioned. Take a look at http://www.studioartfx.com/ArtFXshop/Anigen/Anigen.html . While his stuff is aimed at animation, you could very easily use the same techniques to make a still comic.

Thx a ton. I'll check that out.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Quote:
Take a look at http://www.studioartfx.com/ArtFXshop/Anigen/Anigen.html . While his stuff is aimed at animation, you could very easily use the same techniques to make a still comic.

At seven bucks how can you go wrong?
Looks good.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
JoeC
portfolio
Joe Connell
Graphic Artist
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanga
At seven bucks how can you go wrong?
Looks good.

your not kidding. We also have a year @ digital tutors.com They are great over there.

Joe C.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread