Old 01-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #106
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

I would imagine its because the "leadership" is probably face-palming the whole situation.

People keep mentioning how its a 7 yr. old package but honestly, it still works great and it has just about every major feature that you would need from PS. I could easily get 95% of my work done with the CS2 version and I only leave the 5% because I'm not sure what I'd be missing. How long have we been complaining about the useless upgrades?

Edit:
I do like the 64-bit version.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 01-20-2013, 01:07 AM   #107
rock
rock and scissors

Rock
USA

This is the sample conversation of the audit of a company who brought 50 licenses of CS2:

Auditor: So when did you buy these licenses of CS2?
Owner: 7 years ago.
Auditor: Are all these licenses valid?
Owner: Yes
Auditor: Where are the receipts?
Owner: We bought these a while back and we misplaced the bill and receipt and throw away all 50 boxes because of space. But here's a note from Adobe - they no longer want to keep the license check so they gave us this permanent, valid license for all my 50 copies of CS2. We have updated the license 3 weeks ago.
Auditor: Let me see the note.
Owner: I printed it out for you. You can also read it from their website.
Auditor: You are all good.
Owner: Thank you.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #108
pauljs75
WingsNut

portfolio
Paul Jay Schrenker
Starving artist
Waukegan, USA

Send a message via MSN to pauljs75
It'll be interesting to see how soon and how many people who took advantage of this heavily hyped situation don't realize there were also bugfix updates. (The ones listed on the download page are the original .0 versions. The bugfixes are also readily available, but not mentioned or crosslinked from that page.) And then they'll go around thinking the software is broken or somehow accept that it's broken because it's "free".

To get an idea of what was fixed - an old thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=397094
lol

It's like that analogy of getting a much older and slightly outdated model car with the keys and title left on top for free, but not knowing there are a dozen or so outstanding factory recall issues on it.

That was just Photoshop, but the same likely goes for the other CS2 apps.

Anyhow it's 8 year old software regardless of any issues, and it's main competitor in terms of features and support would be GIMP. So Adobe might not be sweating it too big if this accidental release brings people into their fold.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #109
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

The final word....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adobe
Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue. These products were released more than seven years ago, do not run on many modern operating systems, and are no longer supported.

Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. The serial numbers below should only be used by customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products.

Too little too late, if you ask me. Even then, they still left everything up and unsecured. So sad, Adobe. So sad.

This disclaimer will certainly deter future downloads, but Adobe can't reasonably to expect this disclaimer to work ex post facto. It's not a time traveling Delorean. They created this climate of ambiguity and uncertainty. They've gotta take the hit for the million plus people who downloaded the "free" CS2 in the weeks it took for them to get their crap together.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #110
rendermaniac
Simon Bunker
Shader Writer / TD
Australia

That's not really true. Photoshop's main competitor is older versions of Photoshop. Most of the tools anyone would need are in CS2 so why bother getting the latest version? GIMP really isn't anywhere near being a competitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljs75
Anyhow it's 8 year old software regardless of any issues, and it's main competitor in terms of features and support would be GIMP. So Adobe might not be sweating it too big if this accidental release brings people into their fold.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #111
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendermaniac
That's not really true. Photoshop's main competitor is older versions of Photoshop. Most of the tools anyone would need are in CS2 so why bother getting the latest version? GIMP really isn't anywhere near being a competitor.

It will be once the 16/32bit integration is ready.
And everything will work with 32bit, contrary to photoshop.

Its all im waiting for

Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #112
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread