Q&A Thread: Please post questions for Pre-Dom War V here.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2010
1. Is it permitted to use cubemaps (simply put, textures mapped not to UV but Reflection TC)? For instance, taking a piece of diffuse texture and applying it with some exotic mapping mode on a separate texture layer?

2. Are there any engine postprocessing filters allowed like glow effects / curves / DOF?

3. Are there any advanced rendering engine features (like raytracing or IBL, which are not usual for modern MMO engines) allowed in use for shadows or illumination?
I was thinking like there're no restrictions for use of render engines (according to the official DW rules), was this item about game visualization engines only (like Marmoset or CryEngine), or about actual rendering engines like software biased and unbiased raytracers, etc (in that case it's kinda killing the whole purpose or competition).

11 November 2010
Originally Posted by Integrator: 1. Is it permitted to use cubemaps (simply put, textures mapped not to UV but Reflection TC)? For instance, taking a piece of diffuse texture and applying it with some exotic mapping mode on a separate texture layer?

2. Are there any engine postprocessing filters allowed like glow effects / curves / DOF?

i have the same question, at the dominance at war site says that they are going to ask for the models to check if photoshop were used to modified the result, but in blender i have the possibility of using post production nodes to add glow dof and some other general things( i dont know how to use the BGE but blender has one as well).

11 November 2010
Good luck to eveyone

Hi guys, this is the first time for me to attend "GW". Good luck to eveyone!

11 November 2010
concept art

should i create a full concept sheet like views from front, side, back, and details of each part of armor or just a final piece is enough, thx.

SaintLConcept sketchbook
SaintLconcept
My Website

11 November 2010
hi!

Hello guys, ive been in this comunity for almost one year, but actually i didnt knew about dominance war. ill be stupidly clear and do some silly questions, cause my english is notvery good, and i may be losting some important details.

i read the rules and i have to say im really confused about the teams and the process of contest, can someone please write a small resume about what should i do to enter and the process to do all correctly? (i mean, if i cant post previews in the forums) i want to participate in concept art and 3d modeling. thanks in advance!!

12 December 2010
Is it still possible to start and submit a piece?

12 December 2010
Can we use render flat planes as double sided? Or do we have to make a clone and flip the normals?

@ ChrisChinea: Yeah, just start posting wip's in the relevant thread (3d, 2d or animation)

12 December 2010
Is motion blur allowed?
blog/portfolio - kinganimations.blogspot.com

12 December 2010
contest suspended..
does that mean the deadline is still wed?
can we still submit?

12 December 2010
so err what happend ? do the challenge still there ? i cant open submission page, what happens ?

12 December 2010
what happened with submission page. I can't submit my work:(

12 December 2010
Hey guys. I just want to ask, on our one presentation image can we have more than one angle view of the character? Or does it have to strictly be shown from a single angle on that presentation image?
And it says that the contest will resume as this is all sorted out, so no need to worry, I reckon

12 December 2010
The contest, like Existenz, is paused.

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/...ead.php?t=18042

Not sure why, as that hasn't been relevealed, nor if it will resume. With Polycount admins talking about setting up their own competition it doesn't look too great. Personally I didn't really care about the causes for this, and happily signed up to have my 'mini' work sold; it was more the decision to suddenly take everything down without explanation that I find unprofessional. To be honest I can't see many companies sponsoring this mess right now, and how many artists will enter the Mains when the competition might fold at any time?

12 December 2010
from polycount

This is posted on polycount, only info I can find so far.

UPDATE: December 6th 2010 Fred, founder and organizer of the DominanceWar, has put the contest on hold.
Due to recent events, Dominance War V has been suspended. To read up on what is happening, visit: http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/...ead.php?t=18042

This challenge will resume once the Founder, Fredrik Hultqvist, makes an official comment about recent events and the state of DominanceWar.com and GameArtisans.org.

Dominance War V will resume shortly. Thank you for your patience .

03 March 2011
Hello, I read this forum for years but just now i had reason to post something. I don't want to be taken as a spammer.
Anyone here can tell my how to add my own community (team) to the challenge? I don't know who to contact. Is there any place with information how to do it? Thank a lot in advance!

Thread Closed share thread