aiStandardSurface Base/Specular weight balance

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

1 Week Ago
aiStandardSurface Base/Specular weight balance

I've seen a few people point out that in order to achieve realistic physical lighting conditions, the sum of the Base weight and Specular weight shouldn't exceed a value of 1.

Is this correct?

I ask because some of the presets that ship with Arnold 5 exceed 1

1 Week Ago
It mattered in Arnold 4 (aiStandard), but doesn't in Arnold 5 (aiStandardSurface). See also the response from a dev in this thread @ Arnold Answers

1 Week Ago
1st post in the new forum. Thanks guys. Im also considering adding vray and redshift if you guys habe an opinion on that ?

1 Week Ago
There are a small number of users in the main Maya forum who seem to respond to Arnold/Vray/Redshift questions. Whether they will be inclined to bother clicking into separate forums, I don't know. I only did because I'm bored and trying to distract myself from something else I should be doing Also, Arnold already has its own forum run by the developer (linked in my response above.) I believe Vray and Redshift do as well.

Another thing is that some issues are agnostic to the plugin version and others are not. Like the OP's question could have potentially been answered by Arnold users in the C4D or Houdini forums. But other times a question only applies to the Maya version, or Max, etc.

My guess is that a proliferation of render-engine specific forums on CGTalk (including this one) may end up being ghost towns of threads with few responses. If that's the case, I can't see that they justify the extra visual clutter. On the other hand, if they do get attention, the added organization might be worth it.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by spire2: It mattered in Arnold 4 (aiStandard), but doesn't in Arnold 5 (aiStandardSurface). See also the response from a dev in this thread @ Arnold Answers
Thanks for your reply - I had looked in there but somehow missed it. Great to get an answer directly from a developer.

reply share thread