Textured head

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2002
Textured head

This is my second try at texturing a head. I'd like to get a few comments on it. I know the modelling isn't completely ok, but ...

Completely textured head.

model :

textures :

textures + stupid haircut :

or

http://users.pandora.be/willem.packet1/gezicht.html

my previous attempt is this one :

http://users.pandora.be/willem.packet1/gezichten.html

01 January 2003
Well, I'd have to say firstly that you can still add a lot more detail to your bump map
Add things like wrinkles around the eyes and mouth, just to add a little more dimension to it.
While on the subject of the bump map, it looks a little odd on the nose. It's just too strong there, and also slightly wrong for skin. Skin grain doesn't quite look like that... Skin is more a pitted, slightly cellular-shaped grain.

Also, there is something strangely flat about your textures... I think it may be to do with your specularity - it is far too even. Look at a human face and you'll notice that the shininess of skin is very uneven - areas like the tip of the nose and the areas under the eyes usually tend to be shinier

Your pink tones are a little too.. ummm.... pink I think your colours may be just somewhat too saturated, but only slightly. Bring down your saturation ever so slightly, especially in those orangey red areas on the nose.

The eyebrows need some work. Try adding a a bump map for them, or use your hair engine for them (is that Sasquatch?)

Your eyes also need a bit of work. It's important when modelling eyes that you model the actual lens seperately to the actual eyeball, because that creates a really great sense of depth. Since the eyes are such expressive elements for any character, a lot of care should go into ensuring that they have life. You could also work quite a bit more detail into the eye textures, such as more detail in the irises, and pinkish tones towards the edges

01 January 2003
Thanks for the useful comments Leigh.

About the skin grain. I actually just used photoshop noise for it. This is probably not the best way to accomplish that, but I can't find another way to create decent bumps in the skin.

For the hair I used a blender script. The problem is you can't really get useful hair with it. I just tried a bit to give the character some character, and I thought it looked quite funny. I don't know if I can make decent looking eyebrows with it though.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread