Silo basic question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

05 May 2016
Silo basic question

I'm new to Silo I've been using Maya so I'm used to it just trying to learn the ins and outs of Silo 3D. How do I change the grid options from m to in or ft?

05 May 2016
In the Editors/Options menu you will find General Settings. You can change your units to English in the dialog box that comes up.

05 May 2016
Hiya!

Yes, as makeit3D said. I'd also add that I found one thing "odd" about it's scale. If you choose Metric as a unit, under General Settings, you should set "Unit Scale" to 100...Silo uses centimeters for this...but when you create items (like a Cube), it defaults to Meters. In other words, if you use a Unit Scale of 1 and create a 1m x 1m x 1m cube, then import that into a game engine like Unreal Engine 4, you will end up with a 1cm x 1cm x 1cm cube.

By setting your "unit scale" to 100, when you create a 1m cube, it is 'actually' 1m cube when exporting (at least as .obj).

Anyway...little "pro-newbie" tip there (I've only been using Silo for a month or two...off and on).

I *HIGHLY* recommend doing the Minotaur tutorial found on the main Silo site ( http://nevercenter.com/silo/tutorials/glen_minotaur/ ). Out of all the Silo tutorials I've done, this one has covered to tools I use most from other packages (or equivalent).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Paul L. Ming

reply share thread