Is there a way to stop max defaulting viewports to "realistic"?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Is there a way to stop max defaulting viewports to "realistic"?

Hi all

I find I spend a lot of time going between different files and the first thing i keep having to do is turn off realistic and set it to shaded. I'm just wondering if I can somehow get rid of realistic>? personally i find it slow and a real pain.

www.willelliott.co.uk

Polycount Checker Max script

Old 11 November 2012   #2
you could setup a maxstart.max with shaded mode
this want help if you have many existing files or fresh incommin 3rd party files, because the viewport modes are stored within the max files themself
other than that i guess there would only be a way to script such a thing using #filePostOpen callbacks

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Last edited by spacefrog : 11 November 2012 at 10:07 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
See I thought they were stored within the max file but it seems to keep creeping back into the scene? Id love it if I could delete ever having it within max, its so little use for me personally and slows down the viewport a ton with big scenes.

www.willelliott.co.uk

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Just use DirectX rather than Nitrous maybe?

Old 11 November 2012   #5
I think they are both nitrous but one is a "realistic" version. I like the shaded mode as it is really quick but max just always seems to end up defaulting to realistic all the time.

www.willelliott.co.uk

Old 11 November 2012   #6
If you think that the realistic mode is'nt imported via the scene file (assume you have them set to shaded always), than it's simply the default keyboard shortcuts for visual style switching you are using. The built in toggle commands fro Wireframe/Shaded mode toggles ( "Viewport Visual Style Wireframe/Shaded Toggle" , etc) all toggle between wireframe and the last used shaded mode (per viewport). If there is no last used shaded mode ( because you loaded a scene with wireframe views or you maxstart.max has wireframe views ) those shortcuts default to realistic. This is hardcoded as it seems, so best way would be building your own tiny macroscript, that always toggles to/from wireframe and standard,nonrealistic modes...

Old 11 November 2012   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwit
I think they are both nitrous but one is a "realistic" version. I like the shaded mode as it is really quick but max just always seems to end up defaulting to realistic all the time.

I mean change the display driver to Direct X. In Customise>preferences> Viewports>Choose driver. If you set that to Direct X rather than Nitrous then there is no realistic mode. it'll be shaded all the time.

Old 11 November 2012   #8
Hi Irwit, I've actually just been forced to fix this myself today. You can do it through a maxscript callback set to run on fileopen which will force the active viewport (or all viewports if you'd like) to change their visual style mode to shaded. Here's (approximately) the code I'm using:

Code:
callbacks.removeScripts id:#ForceNitrousShaded function ForceNitrousShadedCallback = ( impl = NitrousGraphicsManager.GetActiveViewportSetting() if impl != undefined then impl.VisualStyleMode = #shaded ) callbacks.addScript #filePostOpen "ForceNitrousShadedCallback()" id:#ForceNitrousShaded persistent:false

Old 11 November 2012   #9
somehow doubleposted.

Last edited by Srezic : 11 November 2012 at 04:14 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #10
Hi Srezic

Thanks so much for that, will try it out today

www.willelliott.co.uk

Old 11 November 2012   #11
Actually i think using a callback to force everything to shaded after fileload is a bit too much
I would be going the following route instead:

* in the #filepostopen callback, cycle through the viewports and set them to shaded temporary and back to the original mode. When the initial mode is realistic, set them to shaded and let the viewport stay in that mode

Note: you have to use actions for that, as simply using the nitrous graphicsmanager maxscript command DOES NOT store the most recent shaded mode when you set the viewport to a different mode
Here are the maxscript actions for shaded and wireframe mode respectively, of course there are more actions, one for each mode , you simply can get them by using the macro recorder and changing the viewport modes

Code:
actionMan.executeAction 0 "550" -- Views: Viewport Visual Style Shaded actionMan.executeAction 0 "551" -- Views: Viewport Visual Style Wireframe ....

The result will be:
* after Fileopen, all viewport commands will toggle between shaded and the corresponding command ( eg. wireframe/shaded ) instead of wireframe/realistic etc. All realistic viewports are set to #shaded ( that can be removed easily in the above script)

* Alternatively, if you hate automated things after fileload ( like i would) you could place the code in a macroscript and assign to a keyboard shortcut, which the user would have to press after he/she loade a third party file which brings in realistic viewports. That would be my way of doing the whole thing

Last edited by spacefrog : 11 November 2012 at 09:18 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #12
Aha, thanks Spacefrog, this was actually what I was trying to do, but I wasn't able to figure it out quickly so I forced it. I'll test that out.

EDIT:

Of note, I got it working with your input, but ended up having to use "viewport.SetShowEdgeFaces true" in place of the edge face action. Otherwise, it would revert to Shaded.

Now it looks like this:

Code:
callbacks.removeScripts id:#ForceNitrousShaded function ForceNitrousShadedCallback = ( impl = NitrousGraphicsManager.GetActiveViewportSetting() if impl != undefined and impl.VisualStyleMode != #shaded then ( local bwire = viewport.iswire() local bedgefaces = viewport.getshowedgefaces() actionMan.executeAction 0 "550" if bwire then (actionMan.executeAction 0 "551") if bedgefaces then (viewport.SetShowEdgeFaces true) ) ) callbacks.addScript #filePostOpen "ForceNitrousShadedCallback()" id:#ForceNitrousShaded persistent:false

Last edited by Srezic : 11 November 2012 at 07:41 PM.

Old 08 August 2013   #13
Just to have an update reply on this thread:

1 Configure the vps the way you want them.
2 Customize menu > Configure User Paths > Configure User Paths dialog > File I/O panel
3 Check the path for the MaxStart folder.
4 Note it
5 Save the scene as maxstart.max on the good folder.

Works like a charm.
(max 2012)

Old 08 August 2013   #14
Hey guys,

I totally forgot about this thread and to post the info here:
But i have written a small script which sets the default to "Shaded" mode instead of realistic.
Additionally it applies a set of usefull defaults on other options, like disabled AO, shadows etc.

This all happens transparently after 3ds Max startup and/or file loading.
It does not change incoming realistic viewports, only influences the mode wireframe viewports toggle to by default. All options are quite easily configurable to your own needs in the script source ( block of default definitions at the beginning)

See details and download here ( script is called "ShadedModeEnforcer")
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/s...dedmodeenforcer

Old 08 August 2013   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread