grayscale portrait

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Unhappy grayscale portrait

Hey guys,

Plain and simple I have submitted this drawing to cg gallery and quite obviously got rejected .
Now that I have came back to my senses after that mighty blow to my artistic pride I thought
You guys could possibly give me some critique and point out problems and areas that need improving ...

So throw them at me please while I'll go back to sulking over the rejection

Cheers !

Dan !

DanTheMan.py@gmail.com

Old 12 December 2012   #2
Is this guy supposed to be a bronze sculpture? He looks that way because all the values are similarly dark, like we'd see in a bronze sculpture:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...XLYbLqQHGp4HQBw

If he's not meant to be a bronze sculpture, then you really need to study the most basic foundations of visual art, because without any kind of basic knowledge, you'll just create a lot of incoherent images that don't convey what you intended originally.

Local areas have their own inherent values. The skin is a different value from let's say, a brown hat, and a brown hat will have a different value from a black shirt, and so on. What you did, was to make everything look like they are the same value.

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you visit the Art Techniques & Theories forum (linked below in my signature). Read the sticky threads there, as they contain a ton of very helpful tips and resources that will make a huge difference in your artistic growth.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
Hey,
Thanks for the critique Robert, really appreciated .

No it wasn't ment to be a bronze sculpture, and yes I knew that there was something really strange with regard to shade values across the image. You have mentioned studying art foundations, but could You possibly point me in the right direction to improve this drawing ?

Would simply differentiating shade levels beetween different object materials fix the problem ?

Or Perhaps fixing this image at this point would be pointless as starting from scratch ??

I am by no means professional artist as You probably guessed and I know I have some serious gaps in art foundations, that's partly because I am self-taught and I probably skipped a lot of material worth learning

Once again thanks for reply, and for materials You've provided, I am digging into it right now and it will probably last me for weeks to come .

Thanks,

Dan

DanTheMan.py@gmail.com

Old 12 December 2012   #4
There are a lot of things wrong with it, and they all stem from the fact that you haven't studied the foundations of visual art.

For example, the face is deformed because you haven't studied the anatomy of the human face. You need to study the skeletal structure, the muscles, and how the skin is behaves when it wraps around them, as well as how the wrinkles actually form based on the structure underneath the skin.

You also need to learn how to portray form and volume properly, as well as learn about values. Your head looks like it might be a deflated balloon because there's no proper sense of volume in your shapes and forms.

These are all very basic stuff, and you'll find all the instructions you need by simply going through the sticky threads in the Art T&T forum.

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread