Ocean with Displacement with Vray

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Ocean with Displacement with Vray

Hey guys,

I am sure its in the forum but i've spent hours and I am getting tired and frustrated.

I am doing a 3D map so I am decently far away. It is stylized and I want to add a realistic water effect.

I've been trying to hook up the ocean texture to the displacement map but either way, I am not getting a desired result. I can't even see the displacement working and I've used a surface shader to visually verify that it looks right.

Anyone has a scene they can share showing a decent view of the ocean?
Thanks!

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Are you using the VRay Water texture? i have tested it and got it to work however i think the patch size is important to get right.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
afaik Ocean Shader Texture doesn't work in Vray for displacement. Neither does it in Arnold.
Hence why both have their own solutions...

But I love the ocean texture too!

Old 09 September 2012   #4
I tried using vray water but it isn't a normal black and white image isit? Do we map that to the bump?

I've included a sample when i used the ocean texture. But I suppose in real life, from this distance...it would be relatively flat? I included the trees for scale. Does anyone have a good formula for water for this distance?

Also, off topic...I used linear workflow...it looked great in the vray framebuffer with the RGB button clicked on. I rendered it as a 32bit exr with the render settings gamma 2.2 with "affect background" and "don't affect color" ticked. is this wrong? my final render looks way darker in photoshop when I convert it back to 16bit. =( But when i preview on my mac the .exr.... i am seeing what I saw on the vray frame buffer.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Screen-Shot-2012-09-20-at-3.49.31-PM.gif (51.3 KB, 70 views)

Old 09 September 2012   #5
If I remember correct the vray water shader is a vector displacement texture, so set your disp settings to vector.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread