Which graphics mode is best?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2005
FireGL's are essentially Radeons, just as Quadros are essentially Geforces.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.asp...var1=105&var2=0

and they play games perfectly well, thankyou very much

Twitter: salmonmoose

02 February 2005
Quote: and, um, rendering uses the cpu (ie: hardware). the software is like you know, max, windows, the environment, and what sets up teh caluclations, but the hardware (cpu) is what has to do them.....

yes, I know what the difference between software and hardware is. the point is that you don't need ANY software at all. you could have 100% hardware...and things would run a lot faster...but people wouldn't like having to install a new card for every program they bought (actually, I wouldn't mind having a Maya chip :P). You could write software to do everything that your graphics card does, it would just be a lot slower...and it would be using a lot of RAM. the purpose of the graphics card is to hard-wire a bunch of functions that are used for rapid rendering and give it some special allocated memory so that these things don't slow down regular computer operations so much. but these functions which are built in are completely different from the functions that you would want to do high quality raytracing renders...so it does not help rendering at all, only viewport rendering.

02 February 2005
Quote: i was wondering if the workstation (like firegl) cards help with rendering

I'm running the FireGL X2 256 (agp). It has four geometry engines and eight parallel rendering pipelines. (The newer PCI models have 8 and 8 = 16). While it definately offers unbelievable performance onscreen, the rendering capabilities are where this puppy really makes a difference. I'm not even running it in a workstation...just a Dell Optiplex GX260 with P4 2.5 and 2GN of standard ram. Even with those system specs I get pretty decent rendering times (consider also that I'm not doing gigantic scenes and/or high poly modeling...yet!).

The FIREGL has hardware accelerated rendering using OpenGL Shading and DirectX 9 HLSL for the following aspects:

• Anti-aliased points and lines or full scene anti-aliasing (2X, 4X, 6X)
  • 3D lines and triangles
  • Stipple points
  • Two-sided lighting
  • Up to 8 light sources
  • Directional and local lighting
  • OpenGL overlay planes
  • Occlusion culling
  • 6 user defined clip planes
  • OpenGL polymode functions
  • 32-bit (24+8-bit stencil) Z Buffer
  • Fast Z and color clears
  • Full DX9 vertex shader support with 4 vertex units
  • Multiple render target support
  • Shadow volume rendering acceleration
I've also used a Wildcat VP series and an Nvidia QUadro FX, both of which I sent back to the manufacturers in favor of the FireGL. I had quite a bit of performance and tech trouble from both cards. The FireGL, on the other hand, has been a real pleasure to work with, essentially trouble free, which should be expected from any workstation card.

As a side note, on the new system I've just built I'm running the ATI X700 Pro 256 PCI-E, which has been great so far, but I've yet to render or model very much on it - the system is currently connected to my 52" Samsung DLP HD monitor in the living room as an entertainment monster...1920x1080 @ 85hhz! Kind of hard to model from 10 feet away. *grin* While this pic isn't related to the thread, I'm really proud of it, so here's a little eye-candy:

Hope the FIRE GL info helps!

02 February 2005
When you say render you mean viewport rendering, right? Because your graphics card contributes nothing to your render speeds, that's all CPU & RAM.

- R

02 February 2005
careful with burn in!

also, what about jsut flashing these cards over to fireGL? you know the softmod hacks. ive heard it performs just as well

02 February 2005
antrent: oh sure they play games, but at what fps? i was reading an article that the firegl & quadro got something close to 30 or so fps ont he latest games, and cheaper card (can't remember name, it was like "only" 999) was in the teens. whereas my 9800 pro goes in the 40-60 range and sometimes in the 90s or so. but then again, im sure the firegl would blow me away viewport wise.

and yes they have nvidia and ati chips but there are major differences between the cards.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=194937&page=2

"Deconstructing the Elements..." By Pete Draper

02 February 2005
Quote: When you say render you mean viewport rendering, right? Because your graphics card contributes nothing to your render speeds, that's all CPU & RAM.

This is right. A faster Graphics card makes no difference to the speed of a rendered image. As for gaming issues, i'd go for 3ds max viewport speed anyday over 'halo' speed.

BTW - that article was interesting about modding an ATI radeon 9700 to an ATI fire GLX-1. I knew they were the same GPU but didnt know you could flash the bios and patch the drivers to make it recognised as one. still, I have a 9700 at home and always found its Max performance to be more than adequate anyway.

Ultimately, i'm you like games and want to do 3D stuff too, i'd certainly recommend the 9700/9800 route. I certainly wouldn't want to go through all that patching of drivers mularkey and i like that sort of thing. They are still good cards even now.

Read my technical blog - lonerobot.net

03 March 2005
best rendering software

Hi! I'm a new Maya user.Can you please help me out in my search for the ultimate software when it comes down to rendering and animation.I need the best quality that I can get not the fastest.I have a poor hardware 1.2 AMd and a Geforce 2 but I still manage to get some results.Please advise me in my search.Thank you.Im using Maya 6.0 unlimited.

03 March 2005
I never benchmarked, but the fireGL gave performance that was indistinguisable from my home computer's 9500pro. If you look at the cards, particularly the lower end professional ones, they look very very similar.

Panker: any card will render the same - it's more down to rendering engines - and as this is the 3dsmax forum, i've gotta say, change your 3D program you'll get much better results

Twitter: salmonmoose

03 March 2005
exactly, a 9500, NOT a 9800. ive LOOKED at the articles which have the benchmarks and they put th 9800, or x800, or 9800 WAY ahead of the mroe expensive firegl in terms of GAMEs. HOWEVER, for stuff like moving around in viewports, or ps im sure, the workstation cards were more superior. they have the same chips, but the rest of it is pretty different. now, im sure, some of the cost of the workstation cards is superficial, but still, they are very different from one another.

03 March 2005
i think the other major differences are the a) drivers (trying to be more stable) and b) some (or maybe all) are more built for opengl.

and perhaps dual dvis. tho some of the better gaming cards have those as well.

Last edited by Largo39 : 03 March 2005 at 02:29 PM.

03 March 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread