TheAtheist
Random Task
Rob May
Senior Designer
CircleSquare
London, United Kingdom

Illuminated Pin Wall

Hi all

Need to do something similar to this for a client (based on their logo). I've been trying to achieve it with bump and displacement maps, but not getting the results I'd like. Can anybody recommend an alternative method? I don't fancy having to move the pins/rods manually!

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Illuminated Pin Wall-1.jpg (68.2 KB, 65 views)

Old 03-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
Glacierise
precise defab worker

portfolio
Hristo Velev
MD/FX artist
Bottleship VFX
Bulgaria

If you have experience with particles, it's easy, with TP or box3. if not - you can displace a plane and then inset, delete borders, extrude down and slice, with editable poly.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
TheAtheist
Random Task
Rob May
Senior Designer
CircleSquare
London, United Kingdom

Thanks, I don't have experience with particles, but happy to give it a go. Are your 2 suggestions free plugins?

I've managed to get close to what I want using a displace modifier on an array of tubes, but this takes an age to render! I'm not sure I completely understand your displacement method, is this also using the displace modifier?

Old 04-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Charkins
Digital Handyman

portfolio
Christopher Harkins
Lead CG Artist
Kitestring
Louisville, USA

You can do it with Thinking Particles, but if you don't have that, it's pretty easy to pull off with the standard pflow. There are several tutorials on this effect (just google 3ds max pin toy, pin effect, etc). The render time is, for the most part, unrelated to the process time (if you're using particles, or displacement, etc) of the pin movement. That depends on what renderer you're using, lighting, materials...

Old 04-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
Glacierise
precise defab worker

portfolio
Hristo Velev
MD/FX artist
Bottleship VFX
Bulgaria

what I was describing was using a single object, that's the only difference I guess.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
TheAtheist
Random Task
Rob May
Senior Designer
CircleSquare
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charkins
You can do it with Thinking Particles, but if you don't have that, it's pretty easy to pull off with the standard pflow. There are several tutorials on this effect (just google 3ds max pin toy, pin effect, etc). The render time is, for the most part, unrelated to the process time (if you're using particles, or displacement, etc) of the pin movement. That depends on what renderer you're using, lighting, materials...

Ah, that's good to know. I'm using VRay 2.30 and the rods are back illuminated transparent blue acrylic and there's around 2000 of them... which I guess is the main cause for the long render times

Unfortunately the client wasn't happy with the look of the displaced method, so one of my colleagues had to manually position the rods in my absence yesterday!! I've had a look for pflow tutorials on the pin toy but can't find any (only short YouTube animations). I did find this tutorial, however:

http://3dessentials.com/tutorials/a...toy-in-3ds-max/

This uses an animated plane to create the movement of the pins. Only thing I can't figure out is how to attach an array of objects (the rods) to the animated plane without them all positioning to the same place? The script provided works well with the offset pins but doesn't work when I do a grid based array (only produces half the number of rods needed!?).

Any ideas?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
raffo
Veteran

portfolio
. .
Berlin, Germany

joegunn3d got another tutorial for an animated pin wall, it may be helpfull:

"Creating a simple push pin animation using hair with instance geometry. This covers a simple setup using an animated displacement map to drive the hairs displacement channel."

http://www.joegunn3d.com/Tuts/PushPin_Tut.wmv

Final animation shown here:
http://www.joegunn3d.com/Videos/HairPP_full.mov

Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
DanGrover
Know-it-All
portfolio
Dan Grover
Technical Director
River Film
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DanGrover
My solution to most problems is actually to just go away until someone else fixes it. It's amazing how often that route leads to success!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
TheAtheist
Random Task
Rob May
Senior Designer
CircleSquare
London, United Kingdom

I found a good solution in the end, using a displacement plane and the Scatter command, works really well... just wish I'd found it sooner! Here's the tutorial for anybody that might be interested (there's a Particle Flow version in there too):

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/au...ticles_scatter/

Further to this I now want to improve how the illuminated acrylic rods look, does anybody have any good tips on creating edge-lit acrylic? The intention is to use transparent blue acrylic rods illuminated from behind, but have the main intensity of light at the very tip of the rods (let me know if that doesn't make sense?)... needs to be similar to the jpeg I posted in the original post basically.

Last edited by TheAtheist : 05-14-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread