CGTalk > Software > Pixologic ZBrush
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 05-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Laramee-Roby, Maxime
Montreal, Canada
Zbrush Workflow Problematics

Hi CGTalk Users,

I'm actually studying in 3D modeling and I have a question with my Zbrush workflow.

Right now my workflow is as such:
- Model Basemesh inside 3dsmax
- Export to Zbrush for sculpting/modeling/lightings/matcaping/etc.
- Create Uvs and Maps inside Zbrush
- Export a lowpoly model from Zbrush and export high level maps with GoZ to 3dsmax.
- Reapply uvs and maps to the model and create a scene with lights n'stuff to render the model inside it.
- Make the render, then export the picture inside NUKE for a final compositing.

So first, I've done a full basemesh inside 3dsMax, I've seperated it into groups so that when I import it inside ZBrush I can group split it and work it as different subtools.

Now I've started working in Zbrush on my model adding mostly alphas for the futur map export I'll do, but I realized I haven't made my UVs yet. So what I did is that I took each of my subtools, put them on their lower level of subdivision, activated uvmaster and created my uvs then GoZ them inside 3dsmax with the Export All command before continuing further. But then ...

My questions are:
1. If i continue sculpting/dynameshing on my model, should I create my UVS and export my model only after my sculpting is done?

2. Should I wait to export my model only at the end of all my Zbrush workflow? That is: After I have done all sculpting/alphas/matcaping/lightings/polypainting/transposing on my high level version, then put it on its lower subdivision and export it with GoZ with all maps and uvs from the high subdivision level?

Sorry I'm just a bit confused with all this...
Maybe to help a little bit, I'm building a centaur-like mecha with weapons and sheild and a full armor. My model won't be animated, it's simply gonna be used for posing and then integrated inside a 3D modeled scene in 3DSMax for a final shot.
So, in my work process I done mind having triangles and stuff.

I'd be grateful if anyone could help me with this problem I am having.

Thanks kindly.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Always Learning
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland
If I understand your question correctly, it makes little difference inside ZBrush. I usually sub divide a few times and do the sculpting, then go back to the lowest sub d and do the UVs. Whatever way fits your own workflow is the way to go.
I like to learn.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Laramee-Roby, Maxime
Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by Dillster
I usually sub divide a few times and do the sculpting, then go back to the lowest sub d and do the UVs.

Exactly my thoughts as well. I subdivided all subtools seperatly then I'm doin' sculptings. After I go for texture mapping with polypainting and add up matcaps and lights. I was wondering the when I should do the UVs, but I think at the end after having transposed the whole character would be the best time.

Thanks Dillster for the comment, it helped me be sure of the orientation and possibilities in my workflow.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread