New build for character animation, Ram?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

08 August 2017
New build for character animation, Ram?

I'm building a new ryzen 1700 pc for mainly character animation in maya, and some substance paining & arnold rendering.
How much ram do you recommend? 16GB or 32GB?

08 August 2017
I would go with 32GB using 16GB modules so you can upgrade to 64GB in the future if needed.
  08 August 2017
Originally Posted by olson: I would go with 32GB using 16GB modules so you can upgrade to 64GB in the future if needed.

Great tip thanks!
  3 Weeks Ago
I was also thinking about new build. Does the Ryzen worth it? I mean for rendering. Or just stick to Intel again?
  3 Weeks Ago
You must mention the applications you work with and also your budget. There's no simple answer in your question.
  3 Weeks Ago
For mostly rendering in max with V-Ray and some in Terragen.
  3 Weeks Ago
OK. How much can you spend on this build? Will you use old parts all everything will be brand new? Do you need a monitor too?
  3 Weeks Ago
I was thinking about max. $2500 - 3000 for only pc, without monitor or any peripherals and with new parts.
  3 Weeks Ago
For 3K$ I would get myself something like this
PCPartPicker part list

PS Gpu prices are just ridiculous because of mining frenziness. I would personally buy a 1060 6gb for now and wait for the new 2000 series of Nvidia to come out in order to get a better gpu for a lower price.

Last edited by FatherN : 3 Weeks Ago at 11:38 AM.
  3 Weeks Ago
I was very curious about new AMD ryzens instead of i9. I looked at some reviews and it seems nice but I still hesitate.
  3 Weeks Ago
Yes, you mean Threadripper cpus. They're fine, but you budget allows a better setup imo. The 7940X I suggested is on par with AMD's 1950X in rendering performance, but it's better in single threaded tasks due to higher turbo clocks.

You can see a 7940X vs 1950X comparison in rendering performance here:
  3 Weeks Ago
And the price for the Threadripper is much lower:

But the single thred speed could be a problem. Damn 3ds max use only one core for Particle Flow simulations.
reply share thread