About Giant Sparrow:
Giant Sparrow is an indie developer focused on creating surreal experiences. Our dream is to make the world a stranger, more interesting place.
Our first game was The Unfinished Swan, a PS3-exclusive first person painting game set in an all-white world that was published by Sony. Our next game is still kind of a secret but if you liked The Unfinished Swan you'll probably enjoy it.
The Art Director will drive development of the game's look and feel. Since we make surreal experiences there's a lot of leeway here. Your job is to understand what the game is trying to express and then create visuals that help evoke those emotions.
We're an intentionally small team so you'll be involved in pretty much anything that impacts the game's aesthetic. Mostly that'll be setting the visual direction, managing and giving feedback to our artist and animator, and working with our graphics programmer to help our game match what's in your head.
Here's what we're looking for:
- Strong personal aesthetic. We're not just looking for a talented illustrator, we're looking for someone with a point of view who can express that visually. We want someone who's going to put their own stamp on the game.
- Excited about creating surreal creatures and landscapes that evoke a sense of wonder.
- You can work fast. Expect to do lots of quick sketches early on as we iteratively figure out the direction. Lovingly rendered paintovers can come later.
- Able to do a bit of everything. Where "everything" includes concept art, texturing, modeling, and a little animation. You don't have to be great at everything, just good enough to give direction and maybe do some first passes to communicate what you want.
- Have shipped at least one game in a Lead Artist or Art Director role.
To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org