Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Becca66
portfolio
Rebecca Curston
Edinburgh Napier University
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Honours Project Car

Hey, I am new on here so I am still getting used to how forums work, having never really used one before. I am a student in my 4th year at university, and for my honours project I am attempting to model and texture a car to look photorealistic.

I am hoping by putting up some WIP pics on here I will be able to get some helpful feedback from people who know about 3D matters.

I am using Maya for my project, and have been working with reference pics of an Aston Martin Vanquish. The car was originally meant to be designed to look more steampunk, however due to my not so great drawing skills, I found this difficult. My car is also meant to be an electric car that could appear in the future.

I am going to keep posting up pictures of my progress, and I would be really grateful if anyone had any comments or suggestions for me.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Becca66
portfolio
Rebecca Curston

Update

I have started my car again, drawing out new curves and using a slightly different technique. It's going a lot better, and my model is a lot better in quality and will lead to the final piece being more photorealistic.

If anyone can offer any advice for the future of the project, or has any suggestions/ feedback, then I would love to hear it.

This may seem like a small and fairly easy task to some, but for me this is huge, and I need as much help as I can get.

Thanks

Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Becca66
portfolio
Rebecca Curston

Update

Been working on my project and basically started again because my previous attempt wasn't a great start.
My second attempt at a model is much better, but isn't without it's flaws, would love some feedback on this one guys, thanks

Old 03-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Mrguy
Legend wait for it, Dairy

portfolio
Craig Kitzmann
3D Artist
Storm 8
Redwood City, USA

Hi there! I think your second attempt is fairing a bit better then your first. Congrats on the bold change. It's always tough scrapping what you've created and starting new.

Are you still modeling the Aston Martin Vanquish? There are certain aspects and features that are not on the Vanquish. Are you adding other car features to it?

I think the biggest thing you should focus on right now are the smooth surfaces of the car. Cars have very delicate curves and are accentuated by their environment. So any divit or blemish in the model will show up. Try and have your poles around the holes away from the holes so that the edge looping has enough room to start.

Here's a good thread to look at.
http://www.cgfeedback.com/cgfeedbac...hread.php?t=124

Old 03-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Becca66
portfolio
Rebecca Curston

Update

Thanks for the feedback It really helps me and the video on the thread was helpful. I've been modelling for a while, but I feel that I've only just got a hold of the basics.

I should have said in my update previously, but I was modelling to the Aston Martin design, but then I started interpreting things to my own design as I went along. The Aston Martin was meant to be more of a starting point for me because it's my first car.

I'm gonna have a look at the poles I have, I was trying to avoid having any, but found it difficult when I was forming the well for the headlights.

In the meantime, I've been starting to apply some of the textures to my model. The bodywork isn't final, and I've only added the one bump map so far.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
IgorK
Veteran
portfolio
Igor K
Freelance
USA

Stop doing materials for now, you need to work more on the geometry of the car. Show us some wireframes, please. But, don't give up, you are doing good progress!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
Telemachus
Expert

portfolio
Mo Ali
n/a
Birmingham, United Kingdom

I might be wrong, but it looks like you are trying to recreate the entire car as one piece of geometry in which case it's very hard to keep on top of glitches like pinching and so on. I would start off using splines to recreate each body panel and then "fill in" with geometry later. I have managed to build some quite daunting surfaces that way.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
Becca66
portfolio
Rebecca Curston

Thanks both of you for your feedback. I am currently revisiting some of the areas of geometry that have problems before I continue with the texturing, unfortunately the deadline for this to be handed in is coming up very soon, so I have to make sure I have something completed even if it isn't quite right, but I will keep developing it even after the hand in.

The car is made up of several panels of geometry that I created from curves that I lofted between or used the boundary tool on

Again thanks for the feedback, will hopefully be able to post some progress on the modifications I make to the geometry

Old 03-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #9
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Can you post wires please? It will allow us to better see what is going on with the geometry.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Becca66
portfolio
Rebecca Curston

Wireframes

Hey, yeah sorry, I meant to post wireframes before and forgot

Old 03-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hola,

Your not in terribly bad shape because you've kept things at a reasonable resolution, but you really need to make some dramatic changes to your edge flow.

Try to keep your edge loops at straight as possible, and keep your corners as close to 90 degrees as you can. Also try to keep your polygons as close to squares as possible (the mathematical definition of square were all sides are the same). This will help things smooth evenly.

Also keep your edge loops lined up between your panel gap so the tolerances between the panels stays the same. To keep your edge bevels on your panels consistent, make sure you have an inset edge ring that goes around the entire panel that stays the same distance from the panel edge.

-AJ

Old 03-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Becca66
portfolio
Rebecca Curston

Thank you for your input, I still have a lot to learn, so it really helps I am going to go back to my model and see what I can do to improve the geometry.

Thanks again, hopefully I will have an update soon

Old 03-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #13
Becca66
portfolio
Rebecca Curston

Update

Not posted in a while because I've been trying to work on the points that have been made on here, and I've been super busy.

As I said I've been trying to work out some of the kinks that have been pointed out to me, however time is running out and unfortunately I can't afford to spend anymore time fixing some areas. I will attempt to go back once this project has been handed in, but for now I must move on. Thanks for the feedback so far, it has really helped even if it doesn't appear so.

I've been playing about with the material for the body of the car, and also with the lighting of the scene, will be working on it some more shortly, and then will update again.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
Becca66
portfolio
Rebecca Curston

Update

Although I know there is still a lot that could be improved on I have pretty much run out of time, unfortunately I have to hand this in soon, but if anyone wants to give me any feedback that would be great. I want to keep working on it after hand in to make it better.

Thanks

Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread