Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
rZukoff
Veteran

portfolio
Ryan Zukoff
Pipeline TD
Los Angeles, USA

"Fighter"

I find my self constantly looking through concept design here at cgsociety and a couple months ago I stumbled onto Peter Blight's work the 'Fighter'.
Link: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1041261

I loved the asymmetrical shape and interesting negative space. So I immediately contacted Peter Blight regarding his concept asking if it would be alright for me to tackle the monster as a personal project. He approved and we've been conversing ever sense. I've been sending updates and images for critique via email. However I'm now comfortable about posting this piece so I'm looking for more eyes and critiques as I continue to model this piece.

When I was thinking about this piece, I didn't want to have the ship flying, so I thought of putting it in a hangar. However the concept is purely based off the bottom of the ship and if its landed in a hangar I can't see the bottom of the ship. Because of that it would be difficult to recognize the ship from the concept. So I came up with the idea that it would be hanging high off the ground from a sort of control tower like you'd see at a airport.

Anyway enough jibber jabber, What do you think? A large portion of the piece is still blocked out and for those curious the objects in the foreground will eventually be trees...

I'm looking forward to reading your critiques and answering any questions you may have.
-Ryan

Last edited by rZukoff : 09-08-2012 at 05:34 AM.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
hogstud
portfolio
Christopher Hogstead
Character Rigger
Image Engine Design Inc.
Vancouver, Canada

This is looking really cool! It looks like you know where your going with it and with a bit more detail in the areas that are just blocked in it will be looking great.

The only thing I could suggest is something that is prevalent in Peter's picture and that is a representation of scale. Peter has that small person in the corner of his image, and while I can spy some ladders and things around your scene a person or some other recognizable object would give a greater sense of scale.

Cheers and keep up the good work.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
ACantarel
Helicopter-Guy

portfolio
Andre Cantarel
CG Model Supervisor
santa Monica, USA

Looks very promising! I love the little details vs the big shapes and the overall design.
Are you going for that lighting or is it going to change?
Looking forward for updates

Cheers
Andre

Old 09-12-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
rZukoff
Veteran

portfolio
Ryan Zukoff
Pipeline TD
Los Angeles, USA

Thanks guys!

hogstud: Its funny because I noted something was wacky with the sense of scale when I last spoke with Peter. Perhaps the massive beams in the back, are well, too massive. I might try making them smaller see if that changes anything. Could it possible be the camera angle? It seems to push everything into the mid ground. Maybe I do need that military personnel in the foreground, I'll play with it and try to develop a solid foreground that will help push the ship and the hangar back. If you (or anyone) has any further ideas that might help communicate the scale let me know!

Andre: The current lighting was just a quick lighting to check if the elements were displaying properly. In terms of lighting, what I have in my mind right now is actually a night scene. But because its a military hangar, there will be lots of lights and elevator lights going up the tower. The ship will be the highlight and the brightest, hopefully becoming the focal point. It'll be lit by flood lights underneath the ship. I might create a day scene as well, however I think the night will be fun to light and I should be able to get some awesome effects!

Thanks again for the critiques guys! Ill be posting updates as often as I can!
Cheers!

-Ryan

Last edited by rZukoff : 01-14-2013 at 03:24 PM.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #5
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

Bad kitty! well done man. love the blue lights.. cold enviro

Old 09-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
rZukoff
Veteran

portfolio
Ryan Zukoff
Pipeline TD
Los Angeles, USA

Just for clarification, the second image is just a lighting reference I found while I was browsing images. I did not create that image, don't want to take credit where it ain't due

I apologize if I mislead any one.

-Ryan

Last edited by rZukoff : 09-12-2012 at 03:48 AM.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Scote
just a creator

portfolio
Samuel Cote
3D Artist / FX Coordinator
Montreal, Canada

Oh ok I tought you did go in the high speed and do that after your last post lol

Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #8
SciFibrow
X-38 Sundagger

portfolio
Peter Blight
Concept Artist
Global freelancer
Melbourne, Australia

You're doing a really fantastic job there Ryan, well done so far.

I love the greebling on the ship and can imagine when the whole piece is finished like that it will be formidable. The environment is top notch and consistent in detail and styling.

As far as scale goes, the view through the window at the front could reveal a similarly greebled ceiling of the inside of the cockpit. And a guy leaning over and looking out (as a seated pilot wouldn't be visible at that angle). Alternatively, some kind of cable suspended platform next to it for servicing with a workman or two.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread