Silo 2.3 officially released

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09 September 2014   #31
First reports back regarding the custom Ubuntu build are that it doesn't solve it, so back to the drawing board for me on that issue.
 
Old 12 December 2014   #32
I'm running on Fedora 21 and don't have the black screen problem. I'm using the 343.36 version of the Nvidia driver on a GTX460, if that helps.

I have another issue, when I rotate, pan and zoom (also when using the manipulators) the program is really slow. It takes it a while to catch up with my mouse movements and makes it difficult to use.
 
Old 12 December 2014   #33
Originally Posted by JGrimes: I'm running on Fedora 21 and don't have the black screen problem. I'm using the 343.36 version of the Nvidia driver on a GTX460, if that helps.

I have another issue, when I rotate, pan and zoom (also when using the manipulators) the program is really slow. It takes it a while to catch up with my mouse movements and makes it difficult to use.


The black-screen issue seems to be a locale thing, so if you had by default a US-based locale (or at least a numeric locale where numbers are written as 123,456.78 instead of 123.456,78) then you wouldn't see the issue.

I've seen the slowness in response; usually this happens with models that have been highly subdivided and thus have lots of polygons to display through OpenGL. I'm looking into possible solutions, but it'll take a while as it's a general optimization issue in how Silo displays it geometry. As we improve our usage of OpenGL the lag issue will be mitigated to a large extent (as well as allow you to model with higher poly counts).
 
Old 12 December 2014   #34
In testing on Windows 7 64 bit, I can't open and .stl file. It either hangs and never opens or crashes.

I tested each file by opening in other software before trying. They open just fine, but not in Silo.
__________________
Blaine in Alaska - Home to psychotic's from everywhere.
"Do what you will to me, but leave my dog alone"
 
Old 12 December 2014   #35
Originally Posted by Blaine91555: In testing on Windows 7 64 bit, I can't open and .stl file. It either hangs and never opens or crashes.

I tested each file by opening in other software before trying. They open just fine, but not in Silo.


Confirmed. I downloaded an stl file to test and it does crash silo. It was a binary stl file.

Checked Silo's stl export opts, and Export Binary is checked, but the output is certainly ascii so seems there's an issue with binary stl in silo.
__________________
Some basic silo tutorials
 
Old 12 December 2014   #36
Thanks for responding Mike. Unfortunately the lag issue happens irregardless of the poly count. Even a cube is slow to manipulate, or using the lasso select, etc.
 
Old 12 December 2014   #37
Originally Posted by Cinnsealach: Confirmed. I downloaded an stl file to test and it does crash silo. It was a binary stl file.

Checked Silo's stl export opts, and Export Binary is checked, but the output is certainly ascii so seems there's an issue with binary stl in silo.


I tested it too under OSX but here it's working fine. binary stl import and binary stl export.

Regards
Stefan
 
Old 12 December 2014   #38
Originally Posted by Cinnsealach: Confirmed. I downloaded an stl file to test and it does crash silo. It was a binary stl file.

Checked Silo's stl export opts, and Export Binary is checked, but the output is certainly ascii so seems there's an issue with binary stl in silo.


Thanks for confirming that for me. I'm just converting them to .obj's so no biggie, but it would be nice if it worked.
__________________
Blaine in Alaska - Home to psychotic's from everywhere.
"Do what you will to me, but leave my dog alone"
 
reply share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.