iphone maps geo in Maya?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
iphone maps geo in Maya?

The iPhone maps app has a pretty nice set of 3D building geo and texture maps it uses. Does anyone know if this is made from free data sets (models with textures), and if so how one could download these for use use in a 3D app like Maya?

Old 03 March 2013   #2
You cannot be serious.. that inaccurate lowresolution piece of crap, why would you want that into Maya ?! that makes no sense at all. Model them yourself based upon references.

/ Magnus

Old 03 March 2013   #3
There used to be some great ripping tools for (the far superior) Google Earth, but none of them seem to work anymore. Was never useful for finals, but as fast reference and blocking it was super handy.

I know there was some odd way to get stuff in and out of SketchUp, too, but that was all one building at a time.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
So it looks like Apple's maps are made using technology from C4. It uses missile tracking technology from the military combined photos taken from airplanes to automatically create models and textures. Since Apple bought C4 they have been keeping everything under tight wraps. Bummer.

While you apparently can't save models from Google earth anymore, there is the Google 3D Warehouse: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

I also see that Autodesk has made their photogrammetry software available again... They call it "123D Catch" now instead of PhotoFly. So you could do something similar by mounting a video cam to a remote controlled helicopter and then using the photos to generate models in 123D Catch. The trouble is that it looks like it creates messy geo that would need to be re-topologized, and also texture maps in multiple sheets which is a pain. In short, it's neat software, but seems to have some glitches.

I'd be interested to hear if others have innovative approaches to this that they can share... surely there must be better ways than the old "model it by hand" method. That's so... "last century"

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Google earth has been doing this for a little while now.

http://www.google.com.au/earth/expl.../3dimagery.html

It's got some impressive results. A whole city can be scanned with a plane flying over, and then they can still use sketchup models for higher details on larger landmarks. No idea how you get that data to use it. I'm just letting you know apple isn't the only one doing this.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
You could make videocaptures from Google Earth 3D viewport and generate point clouds to triangulate .

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread