Rough Animation of Norman as Jack Sparrow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Smile Rough Animation of Norman as Jack Sparrow

Hello guys! May I ask you for feedback about my new Animation? Thank you very much in advance!

Have everyone a good day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMxQ5mOeS98&feature=plcp

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Your facial animation is fine, of course some work here and there. I think you should add some holding action, where he almost comes to a complete stop physically and mentally to think. He's drunk and I understand that but that doesn't necessarily mean he needs to be moving all over the place. I know when I'm drunk I like to at least try to walk straight haha.

The bigest flaw was he lacked the sense of weight and when he was walking he seemed floaty. Specifically I'm talking about when he trips / jumps he seems like hes levitating up and down. Remember his PLANTED foot shouldn't leave the ground until it is completely stretched out or close to being stretched out. His planted food leaves the ground way too soon.

Keep it up!

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Agreed. its quite nice in a rough sense. the trip doesnt read.. too floaty .film yourself doing the same acting gestures and go from there
Wanna see more tho

Old 11 November 2012   #4
Many thanks guys !! Very helpful feedback indeed! I will post an update soon.

PD: Sorry I didn't answer before, I was busy working >_<

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Small update guys, may I disturb you to ask what you think now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa_hrfuLO6c&feature=plcp

I know it's not like a jump now, but It's more similar to my reference. (I filmed myself before I started, Thanks anyway to anthonymcgrath for the tip )

About what you said tdjordan. At some point when I was watching the whole animation I thought as well "hmm too many movement isn't?". So next thing I will focus is trying to change a bit the second main action, giving him time to stare the compass after he drinks.

Thank you very much guys, your help is exactly was I was looking for.

Old 12 December 2012   #6
Ok, here is the final version. I finished 2 weeks ago, but I was to busy (and sometimes lazy ) to post it. Here is the list of things done:

- I've tried to give him more time staring at the compass.
- Maybe It's a bit fast and still having a lack of "still action", but If I change something else more, I'll lose the sinc. with the music . I've tried I promise!!
- VFX to look like he is "The End".
- Small details polished.
- I don't remember what else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VauvtEsPcBM

I'm quite happy with the final result. It's very close to how was in my mind this Cartoon style. Anyway I'm open to hear your opinion guys, new ideas, points of view, critics, ways to improve it, etc. So don't be shy and post!!

Thank you very much!

Old 12 December 2012   #7
is it comp'd in after effects? to get rid of that black 'fringe' around the character use "remove colour matte" effect and it should help tidy it up

quite nice - theres a little bit where he leans to left of camera at 3 seconds that looks a little wrong in terms of hip/weight transfer.

Old 12 December 2012   #8
I noticed the same thing Anthony-

Right when Norman looks at camera, is the window where it needs improvment on the weight. The hips move over, (you could push it further in that direction),,. then just compensate the weight distribution by rotating his spine to the right, avoiding him falling to the left. GR8 wrk!

Old 12 December 2012   #9
Exactly mate

Old 12 December 2012   #10
Gooood good good!! Thank you guys, just work in on it right now!!

PD: Special thanks to Anthony: Yes! I'm using AE, fixed! Thx!

Old 12 December 2012   #11
Last test I did this morning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLY73DZbbIE

A bit different, can't wait to know your thoughts!

Old 12 December 2012   #12
That rigid body is still there mate between steps 3 & 4 ..its like he leans to the left but there's nothing happening through the spine. see if you can fix that bit. film yourself acting that bi out or just do it a good dozen times.. you'll see an feel your body and spine react.
Liking it tho but keep pushing on it

Old 12 December 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread