R14 GI Questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #16
Originally Posted by theglenster: QMC+RMs will work fine with object animation too.
basicly, indirect illumination is an optermised QMC that works well outdoor scenes, and QMC RMs work well with interior scenes, both make flicker free cam and object animations.

Ok, thanks this is good to know. What I am finding intriguing is that from simple interior object animation tests I have done, is how well IR(still image) is working. The combination of physical render/IR(still image) and RM is surprisingly flicker free.

The animated scene I have setup like this renders in a quarter of the time compared to phys/QMC/RM and I really can't see much difference. If I change it to standard renderer with IR(still image)/RM it is a flickery mess. Not quite sure why this is working so well, since the physical render is not calculating any QMC, but it is very promising!

From reading the documentation, it states that if you are using area lights with RM that you can get 2 bounces otherwise you are stuck with one. I have used area lights but changing the diffuse depth from 1 to 2 makes no difference and it still looks like 1 bounce. What am I missing here ?

Old 08 August 2012   #17
Originally Posted by Zendorf: From reading the documentation, it states that if you are using area lights with RM that you can get 2 bounces otherwise you are stuck with one. I have used area lights but changing the diffuse depth from 1 to 2 makes no difference and it still looks like 1 bounce. What am I missing here ?

Further to this, if I'm using RMs with my QMC, should I just turn the diffuse depth on the QMC down to 1 ?
Is it being wasted if the RMs are only working to a diffuse depth of 1, or do both settings have a seperate effect ?
Finally, does diffuse depth 1 still provide 1 bouce off the initial object or none ?

Your other observations are interesting Zendorf, I will have to experiment further.

Old 08 August 2012   #18
Using a dd of more than 2 with rm is basically useless, it has no effect whatsoever. The indirect illumination in the physical tab can be forgotten afaik, it's just there for legacy. All I use is qmc+rm now, if I need more light I increase the gamma, use the physical camera exposure or/and use light cards on windows for interiors.

Old 08 August 2012   #19
Originally Posted by ThirdEye: if I need more light I increase the gamma, use the physical camera exposure or/and use light cards on windows for interiors.

Another way to compensate diffuse depth reduction when using RM, as far as I tested, is to increase GI Primary Intensity (about 150-170% or more) without increasing the gamma. In some scenes it gives better results, than increasing the gamma.

Last edited by druller : 08 August 2012 at 02:23 PM.

Old 08 August 2012   #20
Originally Posted by druller: Another way to compensate diffuse depth reduction when using RM, as far as I tested, is to increase GI Primary Intensity (about 150-170% or more) without increasing the gamma. In some scenes it gives better results, then increasing the gamma.

GI Area lights, GI portals and colour mapping a some more ways to bring more light into your scenes.

Old 09 September 2012   #21
Sky Sampler

I'm struggling to recreate the speed and look of the r13 sky sampler which was great for flicker free animation with fast render times.

Any pointers as how to recreate the sky sampler on it's own?

Old 09 September 2012   #22
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread