Oz The Great & Powerful Reviews: Fun for the whole family - and your little dog, too!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
The actor Frank Morgan who was the wizard in the original film had a substance abuse problem. He carried around a suitcase with "magical beverages" inside.

I watched the 39 film the other night after a long time--had never seen it in sepia before with the surprise switch to colour preserved(since you could tell it wasnt black and white anymore with the house door closed in the old tv versions).

They say Disney's Snow White inspired its making and they originally were going to make the Witch like the Queen in SW but opted for the scary version instead which made the original actress who had been chosen exit.
Last minute casting changes can be iconic.

The witch was voted 4th in a greatest villain poll with darth vader number 1 but I think in a death match he'd be turned into a vacuum cleaner to clean her mattresses and beehives.

I remember she was in an episode of Sesame Street and threatened to turn Big Bird into a feather duster. Oscar the grouch and her got along well though. It was deemed too scary from parents' complaints and never re-aired.

Last edited by kelgy : 03 March 2013 at 07:00 AM.

03 March 2013
Maybe I am way out there on this thought about the movie but...

When they finally got around to having Munchkins" appear and they broke into song,
I felt, "yes! this is what this film needs a bit more of!"
A fun filled couple of minutes with some cute old fashioned sweetness that will definitely
resonate with the young and the young at heart. But, the song was quickly cut off as it was deemed simply a good setup for hipper humor instead. Should have let the song go on and entertain. A bit of a letdown to see the film was determined to go its cynical way.

Maybe I'm not watching the right films but it sure looks to me that the element of sweetness is not easily found in the current film offerings.

I do think that it is an element found in many of the Ghibli offerings and somehow it is not identified or recognized by very many as one of the reasons those movies have such a large following

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Tama: Maybe I am way out there on this thought about the movie but...

When they finally got around to having Munchkins" appear and they broke into song,
I felt, "yes! this is what this film needs a bit more of!"
A fun filled couple of minutes with some cute old fashioned sweetness that will definitely
resonate with the young and the young at heart. But, the song was quickly cut off as it was deemed simply a good setup for hipper humor instead. Should have let the song go on and entertain. A bit of a letdown to see the film was determined to go its cynical way.

Maybe I'm not watching the right films but it sure looks to me that the element of sweetness is not easily found in the current film offerings.

I do think that it is an element found in many of the Ghibli offerings and somehow it is not identified or recognized by very many as one of the reasons those movies have such a large following

I heard something about legal issues that prevented all "trade dress" of Wizard of Oz to appear in this picture.

Also, in my post a page back, I was of the opinion that stuff like the Munchkin sequence should have started EARLIER with a re-write that put them directly inside Emerald City and that would have really steered the tone of the picture.

So you're not that far off.

03 March 2013
Here is some cool concept art of the film:
http://io9.com/em-oz-the-great-and-...s-lov-455908835
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I heard something about legal issues that prevented all "trade dress" of Wizard of Oz to appear in this picture.

Also, in my post a page back, I was of the opinion that stuff like the Munchkin sequence should have started EARLIER with a re-write that put them directly inside Emerald City and that would have really steered the tone of the picture.

So you're not that far off.

Glad to hear I was not alone in my take on that element of the film.

I also think that the flying monkey character would have been best left to a (gasp)
small human in a monkey suit like in the original Wiz of Oz.

A different ratio of CG to practicals could have helped this film connect to the original vibe but I suppose that it is a moot point since the choice of the male lead was a big mistake along with other problems you have done a good job listing.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Tama: I also think that the flying monkey character would have been best left to a (gasp)
small human in a monkey suit like in the original Wiz of Oz.

One thought I had, given the amount of weight Raimi placed on the assistant back in Kansas (who also does the voice of Finley)... is "What if they BOTH got to Oz?"

You know... so asides from the love triangle there's a strong "buddy picture" element where the lackey eventually becomes (as Franco says in the end) "the trusted friend".

Might have been interesting....

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Zendorf: I did have issues with the CG tracking shots when he first lands in Oz and is drifting through the marshes. Everything was very blurry in stereoscopic and was hard to tell if it was motion blur, heavy DOF or just motion strobing.

It was a problem in the 2D version also, some of the landscape CG panning shots were simply nauseating with the strobing and blur.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by imashination: It was a problem in the 2D version also, some of the landscape CG panning shots were simply nauseating with the strobing and blur.

It went on too long.. and it didn't seem particularly inspired... I think color palette choice and James Franco looking a bit out of depth through it all... Made the entrance to Oz feel cheap.

Something snappier would have been better... like how you only need a couple of seconds to establish the wonder of Lucy seeing Narnia after coming through the wardrobe.

Yes, I know the Narnia intro was a physical set. But I'm not talking about that. I'm just talking about pictures and the edit.

03 March 2013
I just saw the film last night. I thought it was a fun film. I quite liked it.

I did crack up a little bit when the Wicked Witch would yell, especially the first time. It sounds too much like Meg Griffin going off so really think she was miscasted. Meg's voice is too iconic and when she yelled it sounded like angry Meg.

03 March 2013
Talking about laughing when you shouldnt, when I saw it, the entire audience, myself included, was in absolute tears of laughter at the very end when Oz is giving out the presents. When it got to Glynda the good witch, my god, I left that cinema with tears rolling down my cheeks.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Tama: I also think that the flying monkey character would have been best left to a (gasp)
small human in a monkey suit like in the original Wiz of Oz..

I'm not sure about that. When I was younger I got kind of bored seeing the little people in so many movies because they look so similar to one another. I think they did a great job on the Oz monkey and he carried the part (if not the wizards bag) very well.
But as I mentioned earlier, the little doll was the star of the show for me.

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Dillster: I'm not sure about that. When I was younger I got kind of bored seeing the little people in so many movies because they look so similar to one another. I think they did a great job on the Oz monkey and he carried the part (if not the wizards bag) very well.
But as I mentioned earlier, the little doll was the star of the show for me.

Ok, so you just disregard little people. I've heard that "they all look the same" rap used in regards to other ethnic and race types before. I have no problem in noticing the uniqueness of each munchkin character in the original.

Gotta get out of the "gotta be all cg all the time" mind set.

I found the monkey character annoying and creepy. Its face was a strange blend of monkey and human with a too wide range of expressions that made the creature unconvincing to say the least. The pseudo Billy Crystal character routine that they overlayed on it was too reminiscent of the Monsters inc character.

Rick Baker could have made a better non cg flying monkey for the film.

It's all about tying the film to the original with some familiar elements. Making the flying monkey a cg one is equivalent to taking the Wallace and Gromit films and making them all cg instead of stop motion.

It is nice that you were happy with the film.
My pre teen nieces and nephews weren't all that critical but their overall reaction was "meh".

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread