Highschool opportunities

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2009
Quote: From what I heard from the teacher, she meant that, Yes, some art schools/classes do help you to develop your portfolio to get into art school or a fine arts program. But it doesn't help you overall, so when one tries to solo it, one forgets or does not know completely fundamentals, etc, such as WHY did we use this color, or HOW does this composition boost the overall artwork. because all the time was spent on developing a portfolio, not an artist. So I would agree with her on that point, about being a good artist, making sure you understand the craft.
Ah, okay, I see what you mean.

I guess in your case, since you are focusing on traditional skills to help boost / support your 3D skills down the line, it doesn't matter as much as if you were wanting to be, say, a traditional painter or sculptor.

School is definitely a game, and you have to play by certain rules to succeed within any given school.

Different people want different things from their educations. Classical drawing and painting skills are better learned at non-degree granting ateliers - whereas more generalized art education is to be had at community colleges, private art colleges, and art programs within universities. It all depends on the program - no two are alike. Any kind of school *other* than an atelier will give you a kind of general art education - depending on the school, you might not refine, in a classical sense, any of your abilities, but instead get a survey or overview of skills. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - it can be good to experiment and get a broad based education in art at first - assuming that you can afford to specialize later.

The trap for a lot of art students, however, is that they enter art programs thinking they will learn realistic skills in terms of drawing and painting - but many art programs are more conceptual in focus. This is why it's important to research any school you might be interested in.

Most community colleges, such as Long Beach, have more skill oriented classes. Cal State Long Beach, in particular, has a great reputation for its art program (this is different from LBCC).

It depends on what kind of artist you want to be - do you want to study classical realism? Illustration? Traditional Realistic Sculpture? Different schools will offer you different things.

Your first tool of inquiry is the internet - the second is visiting a school. Visiting is the only way to know for sure what a school or program will give you.

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 05 May 2009 at 05:52 AM.

05 May 2009
Whoa, that was just an awesome explanation!

I want to work on my skills, that's true. I wouldn't mind taking conceptual classes later though, but now it's just skills and fundamentals I need down.

Brian Choi's Portfolio - Currently looking for art internships!

05 May 2009
Glad it helped, good luck!

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

05 May 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread