"PAINTOVER PLEASE" - painted crits on demand - with Steven Stahlberg

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2006
Arrow "PAINTOVER PLEASE" - painted crits on demand - with Steven Stahlberg

What's a paintover?
In this context it means one artist painting or drawing on top of another artist's image, suggesting how to improve it.

Even though most seem to appreciate it, some are uncomfortable with having their paintings altered by others (as opposed to written crits, although of course some don't even like those).
Enter this thread, where you only post your image if you actually WANT it painted on.

Rules for submissions
Submit any 2d or 3d image of yours you'd like me to paint on - except:
1. Only one per session
2. Explain what you're trying to communicate with it (important, in case it's not obvious)
3. Originals should be relatively 'finished' looking - no sketches or big empty areas. This thread is meant to assist with a piece you've worked a lot on, but gotten stuck with.
4. Size - roughly 800x600 or viceversa, maximum
5. Objective realism - I can't help you with cartoons, abstract stuff or your own very stylized style. What I can help you the most with is lighting, atmosphere, perspective, internal logic and story.
6. Only submit until there are 4 - 5 'untreated' images in a row
(if you see 4 - 5 images that haven't been processed please wait a little).

I hope to contribute about an hour a day or so to this thread. I can't promise all 4 in a session will be attended to, it all depends. But you can always submit the same image again later.

Last edited by Lunatique : 06 June 2013 at 08:37 PM.

05 May 2006
obsolete info deleted........................................

Last edited by Stahlberg : 06 June 2013 at 04:18 AM.

05 May 2006
Smile

Steven,

This is awesome, a big thank you in advance! This makes a fantastic addition to the Anatomy Forum.

Everyone ~ PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING YOUR WORK!

THIS THREAD IS FOR BOTH 2D & 3D WORK.

BE SURE TO BOOKMARK / SUBSCRIBE TO THIS PAGE! THIS IS A LONG TERM, ONGOING WORKSHOP.

~plugged.

Cheers,

~Rebecca

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 05 May 2006 at 05:29 AM.

05 May 2006
definately worth it and greatly appriciated
I am making a character inspired by Frank miller's comic "300" . Its about the battle at Thermopylae and the fall of leonidas and his 300 warriors. So i am thinking of a close up to the face of leonidas and u can see on the back his 300 warriors in a turtle kind of assembly and on their shields,spears, eyes of leonidas and armour u can see the persian army. thats the idea anyway.
this is the final blendshape of leonidas as he is about to make the last change as they are surrounded. So its basically a scream after the "come and get it "

the blendshape activesmoothed

still a lot to do with the body especially the painting weights to pose him which is killing me right now anyway any suggestion and paintover is more than welcome

Rendering the universe...plz wait
with regards your neigborhood martian

Last edited by Agamemnwn : 05 May 2006 at 05:13 AM.

05 May 2006
ahh hell this sounds like an interesting idea

this is a peice im working on right now, i have spent some time on it and im very near the end i think so ill post it for you to have a gander, i do view any input as gold dust and its always good to get a slaping about to wake one up as it were

05 May 2006
1. What about copyright issue?

2. If it is a paintover, do we need to submit original Photoshop or Painter files, or for 3D works do channel outputs help? or just a formal jpeg is enough?

Last edited by dickma : 05 May 2006 at 05:21 AM.

05 May 2006
Demon Fetus

I live in Philadelphia. The 'Body Works' exibit just passed through at the Franklin Institute. The 'artist' makes art out of dead bodies. Real live dead bodies. Gunther Von Hagens. First Serious Photoshop illustration I've been working on. It consists of many layers, at least 15. For a more finished product, I think the guts need work, the body from the breasts down need work, the background maybe, Shadows, Highlights, and anything else. Make it look like a cenobite from hellraiser, whatever. Im kinda tired of messin' with it, though, it should be finished. I kick myself...

www.johnnyschihl.com

-johnny

05 May 2006
Fun idea Steven.

05 May 2006
You are so the man, Steven.

M

05 May 2006
Hey Malachi how's everything!

abeld3dg, haha that's amazingly sick and cool! No crits!

DanVL, excellent matte painting, not enough crits to warrant an overpaint I reckon. The river may be standing out a little too much because of the very obvious line of shadowed trees next to it, but that's a borderline case and matter of taste, and you said you wanted it to stand out.
It's hard for me to tell if it's moonlight or daylight, see if you can maybe clarify that a bit.

Here's another:

05 May 2006

thanks Stalhberg!
I'm having alot of trouble with colors and lighting...How can I add more depth/atmosphere and make the lighting more convincing? anything you can think of to make it more "dramatic" in your opinion? Also, do you think you would change the composition and character poses? [supposed to be a hunting pack following something wounded] I'd really appreciate any feedback, and thanks again for doing this.

05 May 2006
Did another since it's Friday
(note that I didn't get rid of her skin texture on purpose, it just got covered by paint)

And another, just a quickie:

05 May 2006
Help plz

Hello Steven!
I create Night Elf Girl from Warcraft. And no one like she`s face.
How to make she face more Sexy?
It would be great if you could give me your advice, and if something's missing in the face anatomy. Paintover please.

Last edited by Simon3D : 05 May 2006 at 05:37 AM.

05 May 2006
Hey there Steven.

I painted this for the Daily Sketch Forum Topic "Betrayal". I had this neat idea of a girl in a cloak. She was trying to hide her identity in the cloak, but accidently "betrayed" herself.

Anyways, I wasn't happy with how it came out, so I was wondering if you could give me some tips on how to fix it so I can try her again.

Thank you so much for doing this for everyone, it's so great.

Offbeatworlds.com

06 June 2006
I love this thread.

Will you help me fix my obviously broken painting?

Thanks a ton.

spiderworm

Thread Closed share thread