Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 11-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
Where's my pony?
David Johnson
vfx & creature td
Melbourne, Australia
ncloth uv set propagation changed in 2013

If I start with a mesh that has multiple uv sets and turn it into nCloth in 2012, then the resulting outputCloth mesh has only the map1 uv set, but the contents of that map1 set are propagated from the active uv set on the inputMesh. I always found this system a bit weird, but it works so I live with it.

Now if you do the same thing in 2013, you discover that the outputCloth mesh is locked to the map1 set from the inputMesh. There does not appear to be any way to change it (although I'm hoping that there is and that someone will reveal it to me).

I could copy or transfer the uvs but that would create unwanted history nodes, so I dont want to do that. Fortunately I discovered a quirk that seems to be a workaround:

Open the "uv set editor", use the outliner to select the inputMesh shapeNode, ctrl-select the outputCloth shapeNode, select a uv set in the uvset editor, click propagate, UNDO.

If you follow those steps (and yes, the last step is "undo"), then you will have copied the chosen uv set from the inputMesh to the outputCloth mesh without adding any history!

note: Unfortunately this is not a complete fix. It does not create a connection to the input mesh, so changes you make to the uvs on the input mesh do not change the cloth uv's. Still... its something.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Scott Lange
Scott Lange
Yes nCloth is very bad when it comes to Multiple UVs
Please some day they will add support for this!

Now back to your problem.
When i ever i want different UVs for my cloth. I simply duplicate my mesh. make the UVs i want.
Then connect the outMesh to the inMesh of the Shape connect to the nCloth. I usually sim a frame or two fro good luck. Then disconnect the mesh.

Now you have New UV and no history
Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Scott Lange
Scott Lange
BTW your trick probable works because Maya is probable doing something similar under the hood.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread