CGTalk > Techniques > Art Techniques and Theories
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
bob8791
Explorer
portfolio

What should I be practicing as a beginner?

Hi guys, I consider myself a beginner to visual art even though I've been drawing casually all my life, I'm now trying to take art seriously. I eventually want to pursue a career in 2-D animation, and I'm currently an 18 year old freshman in college getting a BA in Media Arts.

Background info aside, I want to consider this the fresh start of my artistic journey and I want to start from the absolute basics so that my foundation will be set well, and I was wondering if anyone could let me know where I should start. I've been looking around on the forums for a few days now and seen some great advice, but nothing that I've implemented yet.

So in short, I'd like if someone could help me set goals to work towards to improve as an artist, and later as an animator.

Also I own a Wacom Bamboo tablet, so I have access to digital mediums.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
alanmonroig
Scout
portfolio
Alan Monroig
Barcelona, Spain

Hello, you are asking a difficult and situation specific question. I canīt give you a full plan ahead for your career as an artist, what I can tell you is one of the things that helps me the most to grow as an artist. Start finding projects to collaborate, or personal projects to work on. Really push yourself choosing projects that you donīt have the skills to do, this way you will learn and find innovative solutions. And keep a unbreakable discipline.

I hope it goes well...

Old 04-18-2017, 12:09 AM   #3
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Teacher
Lincoln, USA

Make sure you read the sticky threads at the top of this subforum, because they contain many excellent advice and guidance on effective artistic development. There are even specific posts that outline learning/practicing plans/strategies that are very useful and will help you avoid wasting time on ineffective learning/growing approaches.

reply share thread