Mudbox model, black hole

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 04 April 2014   #1
Mudbox model, black hole

Hello,
I have this error in my sculpt which seems to be connected to a stamp I created earlier. When I export the mesh as an obj it appears as a hole in the mesh, but in mudbox I just have this dark grey shape sitting on the surface.

If I try and sculpt around that area it causes mudbox to crash, so it's a bit of problem. It's causing hold ups, it's a real pain in the neck. I hope I can work around that area, but can anyone suggest how to get rid of it?

Old 04 April 2014   #2
I should have mentioned that this black shape is not specific to a layer. If I switch off all the layers the black shape stays.

Old 04 April 2014   #3
maybe inverted faces..?
or doubled faces..?

Old 04 April 2014   #4
I checked the base mesh and the face is ok in the original model. It's a very strange thing, the grey blob shape resembles a stamp bitmap I had used elsewhere on the model, so it may be connected somehow.

Old 08 August 2015   #5
Did you find out what it was? I have the same problem. Plus if I try to extract texture map from it, it crashes also :'( ... help

Old 08 August 2015   #6
maybe post a screen grab of your issue?

Old 08 August 2015   #7
:O this is how it looks like :
At first:

if i go up and down the subdivison level the hole grows and you'll see a black edge:

The hole first appeared after using the eraser tool on a sculpt layer. :(
There is no problem with the mesh either on that area, checked it in max.

I tried exporting it again alone, and I got it out as a normal map... but with a black patch on it :'(

The tesselated Uv in mudbox looks fine:

Last edited by Lill : 08 August 2015 at 09:35 AM.

Old 08 August 2015   #8
are you missing a section in your UV's? did you unwrap this before painting?

Old 08 August 2015   #9
I did unwrap it, and then I put some extra loops and turbo smooth modifier on it before putting it in mudbox. (you can see the turbo smoothed UV in the last picture on my last post there. so the UV should still be intact and within its UV border.

Last edited by Lill : 08 August 2015 at 02:11 PM.

Old 08 August 2015   #10
the fact it changes in size if you change levels means it's the mesh or the uv's of the mesh.

you might want to test it without adding the mesh smooth. i've never done it in that order, it might at least reveal where the issue came from.

Old 08 August 2015   #11
its a bug. when you try to smooth the mesh on a glancing angle, sometimes it will delete the faces and the area will turn black. I simply just reload the file. But if you already saved the file with the hole then sorry.

reply share thread