Apocalypse Concept WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
Apocalypse Concept WIP

Hello, I am new here and joined up as to get some feedback while preparing pieces for my portfolio for when I finish university next week. As such this piece is to be a portfolio piece to get a job in concept art - this particular one being made to be the first image on display, and for that I wanted an impactful eyegrabbing and dynamic scene. And so, I went with a vision of the apocalypse.

The image is still very very early in the process, only a few hours in -nothing in it is yet in its finished stage, and the only pieces that have had a detail pass is the angel and demon.

What I would like feedback on is the composition - particularly i'm feeling the image is getting very heavy on the left side, and would like to know if thats just me having looked at it too long or if others are feeling the same, and if so if you have any suggestions on changing the composition about to make it more balanced it would be welcome.

I also worry about the scaling, and any suggestion to help show the absolute massive scale the demon is supposed to be (The angel would be about the size of his eye). I have attempted adding angels flying in front of him, however I do particularly like the imagery of one angel in a desolate environment against a demon of monstrous size. I have also tried adding more demons running around on the ground, but they tended to get lost in the ground and just add noise. Initially I though him carving through mountains would help, however friends have commented not being certain about his size.

Any other comments or feedback are more than welcome.

Thanks.

Old 09 September 2013   #2
I can't really tell what's going on here. I don't know what bits exactly are the monster and what bits are the landscape. Is that his hand holding fire, or a volcano? If you want him to be a huge scary monster, then why hide him out of sight behind the horizon?

I don't know if it is allowed to give examples here, but I feel like this http://www.noahbradley.com/wp-conte...ays-900x383.jpg is the sort of scale and feeling you're trying for. Look how tiny the guy is, and how massive the monster is. I feel like in your image the angel has more power than the monster, so the monster isn't very scary because I believe he can be defeated by the angel. Whereas, in Noah Bradley's image, that monster is really intimidating, even though it's not particularly malevolent. If I were you, I'd rethink this to make the monster bigger and less obscured by the environment.

Composition... there's a sort of emptiness to the right side of the image, which might be what's throwing you off.

Good luck on your portfolio

Old 09 September 2013   #3
Yeah I definetly see what you're getting at - my idea was the demon is tearing its way out through the ground, as if raising from hell and tearing the ground apart. I've got some ideas on how to fill the right side up by adding some buildings or a city on the piece of mountain resting on the demons head, however looking at the image you sent has given me some new inspiration so I might do a few new sketches and try and get more of the feeling I wanted from the image, and get more readability from the demon, thanks!

Old 09 September 2013   #4
Havent been able to work much due to final few days of my MA, handed it in today and did some sketches based on your feedback and with the idea of scaling in the image you showed - was quite happy with how some of them turned out, and took this one a bit further. Still very much work in progress, know there are some massive issues with anatomy (I want him to appear to be rising up while turning, but it seems very off to me at the moment). Think this is a better overall concept for the idea, any comments welcome - my main focus now is on getting the anatomy of the demon right, but anything other feedback is always welcome.

Old 09 September 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread