maya fluid cache compression

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Exclamation maya fluid cache compression

Hi guys , iam working on a short with lots of fluids in it . i have to cache all the fluids before render ,

'BUT' the cache files are gigantic , can i use any compression for this files so that i don't have to loose my HDD space

"CAN ANYBODY HELP ME WITH IT ????"

Old 06 June 2013   #2
If you don't need velocity grids for rendering you can perhaps disable those in the caching to make the sizes smaller.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Hi Duncan , iam only caching density & velocity as matter of fact .

You see in 'houdini' you can add '.gz' after file extension and it will Zip your cache files and it will cut down on file size .

Do maya have any thing wich can cut down the file size without compromising on any data to save on disk .

Thnx,

Old 06 June 2013   #4
If you are caching density+velocity then just caching density will use a 1/4th the space.

Unfortunately we don't have a compression option. I suppose if you are using per-frame files you might be able to rig up your own call to zip ... perhaps using a time change message with a callback when caching and a pre-render script to unzip the current frame before rendering. You should try it on some of the frames to see how much space you might save before implementing it. It might not be that much if using an auto resize fluid.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Maybe you can have a look at field3d. There exsits a plugin for maya. It compresses, can use half float and can use sparse voxels what means if you e.g. have a huge fluid box with only a few voxels are filled, the caches are tiny.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Duncan: Unfortunately we don't have a compression option. I suppose if you are using per-frame files you might be able to rig up your own call to zip ... perhaps using a time change message with a callback when caching and a pre-render script to unzip the current frame before rendering. You should try it on some of the frames to see how much space you might save before implementing it. It might not be that much if using an auto resize fluid.

not to mention the pre-frame scripts not working as it suppose to be in 2011 and 2012. (not sure 2013 or 2014)
i tried to reload mip_proxies, making it updates every frame with pre-frame. so i will have animated proxies.
and it didnt work when in batch mode, but the same mel works in the pre-mel slot.

P.H project WIP...........

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread