Is there a script for doing this animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Thumbs up Is there a script for doing this animation

Check out this animation and you will see a very cool assembly of a couple of buildings, pipes, and smaller buildings. It is very quick and smooth.

http://www.designimations.com/animation-ces-teaser.html

Is there some sort of script the Cinema 4d has for this or some way to automate this?

thanks!

SH

02 February 2013
hahaha, hey Steve! I animated this. Doesn't use a script. Just a piece by piece hand animation.

You'll see another part of it (more complex) animated in my reel
http://www.morleyarts.com/animation.html

There may be a script for this sort of thing. I really don't know. I always lean to animating it. ;-)
Silo

02 February 2013
Script

There should be a script. It is a cool effect the way it does that little bouncy bounce.

SH

02 February 2013
Yea, thats exactly why I hand animate these things. I can add character to otherwise dead mechanical things. You'll notice the caps of things fly up and then bounce down. Just a lot of keys on sweeps, scales, and visibilities. Just takes time. I've done it so much I can pull it off pretty quickly now.
Silo

02 February 2013
No need to animate all of that by hand, that's the perfect job for Mograph.
Just deconstruct your building with the pieces you want to be assembled (by this, I mean each part that you need to see being assembled), then use a fracture object and one or several Plain effectors with a linear falloff.

Animate the falloff weight to make your pieces rise from the ground at will.
Add a Delay effector to create the jiggle effect automatically.

A lot easier to handle than animating everything by hand.

02 February 2013
Here is an example file. Here, the delay effector is set a bit stronger, just to make the effect more obvious, but the whole point of this method is that it's highly customizable since you can easily add/edit effects.

02 February 2013
While Mograph is indeed great for this kind of thing, I would just add that animating stuff like this by hand as Richard did is a great exercise for any animator and puts him at an advantage if he needs to work at a studio where he doesn't have access to a tool like Mograph.

In CG it's always tempting to use a script or automatic solution (hey I love scripting too) but if you know how to do something manually it often makes you more rounded in your skillset IMO. I've read that even in a lot of VFX movies where they make heavy use of dynamic simulations for destruction shots that there will often be 'hero' pieces that get animated by hand in amongst the dynamic stuff for the simple reason that it's a lot easier for a director to art direct a skilled animator than a simulation. If a brick needs to fly past a camera in a very specific way, often the fastest way to do it is to just keyframe it.

(and yes I'm biased - I love keyframes .

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 02 February 2013 at 01:17 PM.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Horganovski: puts him at an advantage if he needs to work at a studio where he doesn't have access to a tool like Mograph.

Why would you work there then? ;-)

02 February 2013
Ah, very cool looking build up. I thought there'd be a script for this sort of thing. After looking at your setup though, I realize I was better served by animating it by hand. It would take me a day just to understand that setup. I could almost be done animating it by the time time I figured out the script ;-) I personally prefer being much more in control, but I'm a very picky animator
Silo

02 February 2013
Yes, this sort of setup is not necessarily for all situations, and I do love animating by hand as well (since I'm an animator first), but he was asking for scripts or semi-automated solution, so this is one.

The advantage here is that this can be iterated very easily and quickly. The file I shared is part of a large project where I had dozens of buildings that needed to be built up, synched together and all animated the same way.

Mograph here made a lot of sense and allowed me to achieve this very quickly (and edit/tweak quickly).

If I had only one building in a close-up shot, I probably would have animated it by hand, since it gives you better control of the minute details and the way things bounce/interact.

02 February 2013
Oh definitely, the whole point was to find a script solution. You've got a very good one here too.
Silo

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by DickM: I personally prefer being much more in control, but I'm a very picky animator

Heh, heh, what are animators after all, if not control freaks Picky is good in my book!

Cheers,
Brian

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Horganovski: Heh, heh, what are animators after all, if not control freaks Picky is good in my book!

Cheers,
Brian

LIKE!
Silo

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread