Merging multiple meshes into one`

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2013
Merging multiple meshes into one`

I've been working on getting a skeletal mesh imported into an Unreal-based game. The original model has 2 sections, 2 UV maps, 2 materials. After I've modded the mesh I am left with 3 sections or chunks, 2 UV maps, and 2 materials, so I'm close but I have no idea how to get the 3rd chunk or section merged into the main body section (nor do I know how to identify what this chunk/section is as I only come upon it in UDK after import. Originally I imported and edited a new face for the character who had none before. I did an "Attach" after it was all placed and edited and it became, as far as I can tell, part of the overall body.

Is "Attach" NOT doing it? Is there some other method I should use to make the new face a true part of the main body?

I read somewhere that selecting the elements I want and selecting "Collapse All" will do it but it destroys the skin and leaves me with a useless, unweighted mesh that had all the correct weights before. Is there any way to do this without destroying the skin?

Last edited by Praedor : 11 November 2013 at 11:25 PM.

11 November 2013
Make a duplicate mesh, one with the skin, one with the correct geometry.

Bind mesh 2 to mesh 1 using skin wrap modifier, then convert those weights to a skin. You can then get rid of the original mesh.

11 November 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread