Where should an Indie Dev go to learn...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Where should an Indie Dev go to learn...

I'm an indie developer looking to learn a bit about the art side of assets. Unfortunately I'm coming up rather lacking in my knowledge of assets for animation/backgrounds/character portraits/etc.

So I'm in a bit of a bind, I'm looking to hire a pixel artist and animator and I just don't know what to tell him in regards to the size of the required assets. Are there any resources that may help me with this?

EDIT: It would probably help if I let you know what I'm developing for and the genre. I'm developing for PS Vita, 3DS, and PS3. My programmer is using the Unity engine for the game. The game is a turn based strategy RPG that works on a grid system ala FF Tactics, Fire Emblem, and Super Robot Wars.

Last edited by zachalmighty : 08 August 2013 at 12:21 AM.

08 August 2013
What is the closest you will go to an asset?
How many pixels across would that be on screen?

That should give you an idea of how much work should go into creating the artwork. No point in detailing something that wont be seen.

Last edited by rende : 08 August 2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: whooops typo

08 August 2013
I believe the background will be the largest at 1280x800 so that it can fit on both the PS3 and PS Vita. I also don't want to tax the hardware by making the sprites and backgrounds too high in resolution and having to scale down.

EDIT I think the real problem is; how do you determine the size of the sprites and tiles?

Last edited by zachalmighty : 08 August 2013 at 03:26 PM.

08 August 2013
Honestly, this is the kind of question you should just Google and spend a day reading. There are many blog posts out there from seasoned devs discussing their choices regarding pixel art and I'm sure you can get a good idea from that. Everyone will have their own opinion but it should help you make your own decision. There's no catch-all answer.

edit: Also, if you are hiring a pixel artist / animator... it's probably in your best interest to get their opinion. If they have a good body of work, I'm sure they will be able to help match your needs with a solution.

08 August 2013
The Unity engine seems like the most robust (scope, training materials, free!) jumping on point for learning 3d game basics. I think it favors a background in javascript or c# (I think...?) in case that is a plus/minus.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread