Sandman

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Smile Sandman

Hello everyone!

I'm looking to create a sandman with pflow, with a similar aesthetic to the effect created within Spiderman 3.

Spiderman 3 - Sandman

The rig I presently have composes of a position object (set to volume) and a lock/bond node set to animated surface so that the volume follows the mesh as he moves. I've got keyed UDeflectors to destroy specific parts of the volume and this works perfectly - what I am having issues with however is with the secondary particle emissions from the surface of his form.

At present the largest issue that I've come across is losing the silhouette of the sandman as he walks - simply emitting from the surface leads to far too much of a curtain-like effect where the particles simply fall parallel or behind in a massive stream, and the velocity caused by the sandman moving forward causes the emitted particles to not appear on the front of his body. I found a tutorial here that looks in to using the speed by surface node with parallel to surface turned on, then using an age test for the particles to drop off over a period of time. This works within the context of a static mesh, but I can't seem to get a system setup that integrates this behavior with an animated mesh using the lock/bond method. Here is a screengrab of the configuration for use on a static object:

Put simply, I'm looking to create secondary particles that run down the form of an animated character, then drop off after a period of time. He needs to feel as if he is in a very gradual perpetual state of collapse, without his form becoming too heavily obscured by the emission!

As a starting point, I've also come across this which looks quite promising - from the low res upload I can't quite make sense of the particle scheme, but perhaps someone here may be able to! I've also included them as image links within this post.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas!

Max

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread