Ace5 studios character animation reel

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

06 June 2018
Ace5 studios character animation reel

Working on a character animation reel, not quite happy with it. Would appreciate some feedback, which parts of it do you dislike the most?

(reworking it)

Last edited by AlekseyVoz : 06 June 2018 at 12:16 PM.

06 June 2018
Ok, finally got the finished one doen, did some re-renders, adjusted some of the animation to look more fluid, ta-da:

(stuck some temporary music in there ) )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3vJRAkENcU

Last edited by AlekseyVoz : 06 June 2018 at 12:40 PM.

06 June 2018
A few notes:
The musical quality is terrible, the audio is too loud and clipped
You probably don't want to use music which includes lines line "you pms like a bitch" on a reel youre sending to potential clients.
The parrot (flying and talking) is a low point

Otherwise all good.

06 June 2018
I agree with Mash about the Parrot.Dancing puppy should go.

Adjustment to Golf guy mocap goes on for too long.

That music - besides the lyric Mash points out - I don't know.... Not finding it ironically cool. A real turn off, actually.

I'd love to see one shot in there with a more dynamic camera move - orbiting a rig while adjusting or something with more depth to it.

Hope that helps.

06 June 2018
Music is a very personal thing so I mean no offense here but I do think that tune will annoy the hell out of quite a few people. So I'd find a more conventional option there if possible.

Which one to remove: I am assuming with the puppy and parrot that maybe that was a look the client was going for / not intended to be super-realistic but more "nuts and bolts". I don't have as big a problem with the puppy, especially the one closer to the end. The Penguin did look sorta stilted / weird though. I'd say get rid of the the Penguin and the parrot. Maybe add something else / more modern in to replace if you're going for a certain reel length.

06 June 2018
Yeah i guess music's gonna be replaced.. its a cover of a katy perry song though..

Yeah, the parrot and puppy were from concept art of the client. They seemed happy with them. But this reel is more about the character animation rather than the final look.
Everything here was on pretty tight turn around, i actually cleaned up the parrot and re-rendered him for the reel, but i guess i should do some more work on him.

I'll get rid of the talking parrot.

thanks for the feedback guys

06 June 2018
Good start but the animation itself demonstrates pretty clearly that you don't have a handle on many of the animation fundamentals like weight, spacing, timing etc. A lot of the poses are unbalanced and transitions don't feel natural (the guy with the 5 doing the handstand being a prime example).

I'd suggest if you are serious about pursuing character animation that you might take a workshop with one of the online schools like iAnimate, AnimSchool etc. Even one workshop of a few months would make a huge difference to how you see your own work. I know I made big leaps in my own work after the ones I've done. Be warned though they will make you learn Maya as that's what all the teachers work in, you'll be entitled to a student license though so it won't cost you anything.

By way of example, this is my most recent reel, the Panther shots I did while doing a creature workshop last year mentored by Marco Foglia (look him up on IMDB!). There's no way I would have gotten this level without his help!

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 06 June 2018 at 12:46 PM.

06 June 2018
Brian, really great animations especially the spidermanish character dancing, really well done.

Voz, gotta agree with music as well as dog and parrot

06 June 2018
Originally Posted by unclebob: Brian, really great animations especially the spidermanish character dancing, really well done.

Many thanks! I worked really hard on that stuff, lots of fun too though.

Cheers,
Brian

06 June 2018
@brain: yeah, i know.. i need a lot of practice... and i guess a course wouldn't hurt. Great reel by the way.

I wonder if i can find a school, where they just give 2d feedback, so i don't have to learn maya..

I've never really taken character animation that seriously, clients just ask me to do it in addition to other work. Kinda same way i ended up in rigging. I guess i should do a personal project which really focuses on animation and the 12 principles.

06 June 2018
Originally Posted by AlekseyVoz: @brain: yeah, i know.. i need a lot of practice... and i guess a course wouldn't hurt. Great reel by the way.

I wonder if i can find a school, where they just give 2d feedback, so i don't have to learn maya..

I've never really taken character animation that seriously, clients just ask me to do it in addition to other work. Kinda same way i ended up in rigging. I guess i should do a personal project which really focuses on animation and the 12 principles.

Re Reel - Thanks!

.. and yeah I guess I can relate. I only really learned rigging because I was trying to animate in C4D years ago and there were almost no good character rigs available. I love animating though.

Cheers,
Brian

06 June 2018
Brian: like they always say "wow 'em" with the first thing and last thing they see. Deadpool dance thing was not only good technically but pretty funny on top of that.

Rigging and anatomically correct animation has got to be one of the toughest things to do. Thinking about this more and considering your comments I'm not sure now that it makes sense to solicit feedback from a broad group as opposed to a few trained eyes like your own. My comments (as someone who does zero rigging work) suddenly feel pretty useless. lol

Maybe the rest of us can still have something useful to say, on the level of our brains recognizing realistic motion when we see it (even if it's not a wholly conscious thing), but clearly it's easy to miss things too if you don't know what you're looking for. In summation one of your comments in threads like this is probably worth 5 comments from people not skilled at rigging and anatomical modeling.

06 June 2018
all comments are useful, you never know where something useful will come from.

clients are very often not experts in any kind of anatomy, so the things they notice may be different.

so feel free to share your opinion @Blinny ))

06 June 2018
Originally Posted by AlekseyVoz: all comments are useful, you never know where something useful will come from.

clients are very often not experts in any kind of anatomy, so the things they notice may be different.

Both fair points. I think probably we do recognize instinctively certain things in animation that just look or feel right, without being able to explain exactly why. Sort of a gut reaction thing as opposed to a technical analysis of where things look right or wrong.

reply share thread