X-Particles 4 - Release 5th Dec, more info

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

3 Days Ago
From look of it it seems more a limitation of C4D renderer than X particles if it works with Redshift and other 3rd party.

2 Days Ago
Originally Posted by Bullit: From look of it it seems more a limitation of C4D renderer than X particles if it works with Redshift and other 3rd party.

I'd say it has more to do with the X-Particles Gaseous Shader not supporting lumination. That'd be my guess.

2 Days Ago
Here's a test Xplosia simulation (at 4 cm voxel) rendered in Arnold (the slab geometry the smoke is colliding with is hidden), using an animated C4D 3D noise shader (blistered turbulence, IIRC) to displace the volume and add more detail to the simulation..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uo7znsbz1...cement.mp4?dl=0

Not sure it is the best choice of noise, but perhaps this is a solution in some situations where the sim's detail is too low, and a finer grain of turbulent detail is desirable...

1 Day Ago
Are you able to render it with motion blurin Arnold? I noticed that XP allows you to save out a velocity channel.

15 Hours Ago
Soooooo... xpOVDBMesher inverting the normals for output mesh? Makes it impossible to use in animation with reflective/refractive materials. Bug?

13 Hours Ago
X particles also with Houdini in Cinema 4D viewport:

https://vimeo.com/238099433

12 Hours Ago
Originally Posted by artbyart: Soooooo... xpOVDBMesher inverting the normals for output mesh? Makes it impossible to use in animation with reflective/refractive materials. Bug?
Yeah, that's a weird one... I looked for a "reverse normals" option, but no luck... must be a bug.

12 Hours Ago
I cached this shot, which took about an hour.
I let it run on a 20 core / 40 thread Xeon for 17 hours and got about 3 seconds of footage.

Got to say, that for the time being, there's no doubt that I'd be sticking with TurbulenceFD if I had any fire/smoke needs.

The control you can give over particles here is very nice and overall I'm impressed by the update, but I'm underwhelmed byxpExplosiaFX
and was expecting to be blow away.

11 Hours Ago
Originally Posted by ThePriest: I cached this shot, which took about an hour.
I let it run on a 20 core / 40 thread Xeon for 17 hours and got about 3 seconds of footage.

Got to say, that for the time being, there's no doubt that I'd be sticking with TurbulenceFD if I had any fire/smoke needs.

The control you can give over particles here is very nice and overall I'm impressed by the update, but I'm underwhelmed byxpExplosiaFX
and was expecting to be blow away.
What renderer?

10 Hours Ago
Native C4D. Which I rarely ever use.

9 Hours Ago
Originally Posted by ThePriest: Native C4D. Which I rarely ever use.

Yeah, that's the reason why the renders are taking so long; for some reason the prepare times take more than forever with Standard & Physical engines. 3rd party renderers aren't having that issue.

4 Hours Ago
Looking forward to the upcoming Cycles4D service pack; Explosia support is included and I suspect a big part of the update in general. Can't imagine one of their chief goals isn't to create best-in-class performance for smoke effects and other common workflows.

3 Hours Ago
Either way it is a severe issue that neither C4D renderer and the Cycles 4D can't work well with VDB's.

1 Hour Ago
I've surrendered on using XP4 for fire as I don't have any 3rd party renderers and it doesn't support GI with C4D's standard and physical renderers, then comes the insanely slow preparation times. Hopefully they'll resolve these issues in a service update soon. I find it rather troublesome that these problems don't exist with 3rd party renderers.

reply share thread