Plugins Revisited: Back to the Forest(er)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

5 Days Ago
Plugins Revisited: Back to the Forest(er)

Each year when I reach out to c4d vendors for updated passwords or keys for plugins...I try to evaluate the value I've received from each purchased tool and whether I've dropped the ball on something that could really enhance my work.

Remember this plugin?
https://www.3dquakers.com

I suppose Forester hasn't naturally fit into my client work. I will endeavor to play w/it more this year.

Thoreau Poem on woods/forest/deliberate life
“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms...”

4 Days Ago
Forester is a great plugin. The easy of use to make many variations of a tree or other vegetation is awesome. So many options to customise your needs and also a great wind generator built in!
I use it a lot. They are working now on more landscape tools so that promises to be interesting. 

odo

4 Days Ago
When I see the price of the alternatives like speedtree and Plantfactory, Forester looks like a great option.

4 Days Ago
Originally Posted by ooo: They are working now on more landscape tools so that promises to be interesting. 

Is this plugin still actively developed? Recently, I thought about picking it up, but from the site it looks somewhat abandoned. It's been over two years since any recent news, so I decided against it.

4 Days Ago
Originally Posted by Jim-H: Is this plugin still actively developed? Recently, I thought about picking it up, but from the site it looks somewhat abandoned. It's been over two years since any recent news, so I decided against it.
Forester is in on-going development. Throughout this year we have issued several bug fix releases for customers.
A major new version is in the works with significant feature updates. We are taking the time to insure  maximum stability/integration. 
A lot of the new features were directly requested by users.
I cannot reveal any new features or release date yet. Our Facebook page does however give some clues about possible features and/or new products.
When close to release, we will be releasing extensive videos showcasing the new stuff.
It will be worth the wait...

In the meantime, here is a little teaser of some stuff we are working on.

Edited to add teaser image
Cinema4D & Softimage Plugin Development

Last edited by 3DQUAKERS : 4 Days Ago at 12:57 PM.

4 Days Ago
I've been following these Forester teaser images on Facebook and I have to say, I'm very excited. I do a lot of flying over various landscapes and this would be really beneficial! I already use Forester for trees and I would love to have...whatever it is you're teasing!

4 Days Ago
Originally Posted by TheGreatSzalam: I've been following these Forester teaser images on Facebook and I have to say, I'm very excited. I do a lot of flying over various landscapes and this would be really beneficial! I already use Forester for trees and I would love to have...whatever it is you're teasing!
The dev, Charbel Koueik, responded to my R19 key request as immediately as he did last year. And he also conveyed the Windows/Mac updates.

4 Days Ago
Originally Posted by Jim-H: Is this plugin still actively developed? Recently, I thought about picking it up, but from the site it looks somewhat abandoned. It's been over two years since any recent news, so I decided against it.
Like you see  in this thread it is indeed still in full development.

As a customer it is a bit awkward to see the newspage with the latetest news dating from 2015. It won't hurt if there is some sign of life on that page too I think. Not everybody checks Forester on Facebook I think.

odo

4 Days Ago
Originally Posted by 3DQUAKERS: Forester is in on-going development. Throughout this year we have issued several bug fix releases for customers.
A major new version is in the works with significant feature updates. We are taking the time to insure  maximum stability/integration. 
A lot of the new features were directly requested by users.
I cannot reveal any new features or release date yet. Our Facebook page does however give some clues about possible features and/or new products.
When close to release, we will be releasing extensive videos showcasing the new stuff.
It will be worth the wait...

In the meantime, here is a little teaser of some stuff we are working on.

Edited to add teaser image
I can verify this...I am one of those customers that Charbel has helped out with little bugs that popped up.  The response time has been so very quick and I received updated plugins within 24 hours. 

I am about to embark on a project that I will be making extensive use of Forester over the next 6 months, so I'm looking forward to putting it to the test.

4 Days Ago
Forrester and xparticles are my top two plugins for c4d. 

I also use Laubwek as I purchased 1 or 2 of their packages. It's more expensive but one reason I like Laubwerk more is you can select between Physical, Vray, and Octane (and maybe Arnold?) models. No need to convert all the materials and whatnot. Hope Redshift gets added into the mix soon too. 

Does anyone have a good workflow with using Forrester with the other 3rd party renderers?

4 Days Ago
Originally Posted by smibrand: Forrester and xparticles are my top two plugins for c4d. 

I also use Laubwek as I purchased 1 or 2 of their packages. It's more expensive but one reason I like Laubwerk more is you can select between Physical, Vray, and Octane (and maybe Arnold?) models. No need to convert all the materials and whatnot. Hope Redshift gets added into the mix soon too. 

Does anyone have a good workflow with using Forrester with the other 3rd party renderers?
Octane can do some on-the-fly auto material conversion. I don't remember the details and haven't tried that w/Forester.

4 Days Ago
Originally Posted by ooo: Like you see  in this thread it is indeed still in full development.

As a customer it is a bit awkward to see the newspage with the latetest news dating from 2015. It won't hurt if there is some sign of life on that page too I think. Not everybody checks Forester on Facebook I think.

odo

Good to know and the new teaser image looks impressive.

I don't recall seeing any specials, black friday or otherwise in a long while, which also led me to believe it may be inactive. Glad to hear it is preparing for a new release. Has an approximate release date been discussed?

4 Days Ago
Well, shoot. Now I'm following 3dquakers on Facebook.  

The updates look impressive!

reply share thread