BelloScope, Darrel Anderson (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2010
BelloScope, Darrel Anderson (3D)

Title: BelloScope
Name: Darrel Anderson
Software: Photoshop, ZBrush

I've always loved old scientific instruments... have been able to visit the Harvard Collection a few times.
This is one purely imaginary, but attempts to catch that aesthetic.

I have a WIP thread that includes this piece. Modeled in GroBoto. ZBrush used for sculpting, detailing, and polypaint.

Going for an Illustration style - rather than photoreal. Image is a Photoshop composite of a couple of ZBrush renders.

Best Wishes
Darrel

01 January 2010
Talking

its look like something has been created by Leonardo davinci, the design is impressive , but the rendering is not that good ,, some part dosent seem metal to me , its look like zbrush daffult material (cly) , overall good job

01 January 2010
Great render and model , that's remaining me the game Myst

01 January 2010
Looks great to me...like something from the old Dune movie.

01 January 2010
Nice gadget.... Awesome~

Really great artwork~
This remind me of playing "Gadget -Past as future-" game~

Thanks for sharing nice artwork here!
E-mail: jgsdf74@gmail.com
Company: Bioware Austin Texas

01 January 2010
Thanks

TheKrakan -- Thanks. Yes, perhaps I dulled it down a bit too much... going for a very dusty/aged look, however a few shiny spots (where the grime has worn off due to handling --might enhance & provide variety. On the other hand, I don't want to tilt to far towards photorealism. Thanks for the insight.

Shortyg78 -- Yes, I remember being totally awed by Myst... they were forecasting things to come... high quality graphics in computer games. Thanks for the compliments.

IR-Brainiac -- Thanks. Right... I like that aesthetic... and the broader notion of objects of science imbued with the qualities of high craft & art.

jgsdf -- Thank You. DaVinci, Dune, Myst, Gadget -Past as Future... good company -- and kinda' glad the image isn't too easy to pin-down... Had to look up 'Gadget -Past as Future', but remember it now.

Best Wishes,
Darrel

01 January 2010
The device is very nice... Its shading too, very expressive and succesful but... the floor... I think you have to do something with the floor. There is a need of some other kind of floor... something of the same nature of the device itself maybe. Something that would endow the scene with a sense of unity.

Just expressing a view, of course... :-)

01 January 2010
hey cool work

01 January 2010
cool!

amazing work man. I like the illustration feel of it with the black out lines. nice...

01 January 2010
Thanks

Prifti -- Thanks, and yes I agree... could be more unified. I'd still like to keep a degree of disparity between the Object & Floor/environment (to emphasize the 'Xeno' aspect). However you are right -- even if that's my intent, the elements need better visual unity.

jaykrushna -- Thank You... great work on your 'Bumblebee' Transformer BTW...

Priyanj -- Thanks, I'm just starting to get a feel for ZBrush -- how to get the style I'm after.
I know ZBrush has a very funky renderer, but I really want to pursue something non-photoreal -- for that goal, I think I can make it work. Those 'black outlines' you mention are largely the result of geometric features of the mesh -- edge loops, and very tight ridges & channels derived from those loops.

I've attached the GroBoto Model & Mesh -- automatically generated single, unified mesh.

Best Wishes,
Darrel

01 January 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread