CGTalk > Software > Maxon Cinema 4D
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 08-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

Hi,

Brekel kinect and Faceshift are really in two different leagues. It may not be obvious on my example, but Faceshift does much more than head, lip and eyebrow tracking with the kinect sdk.

First it scans your face and retargets it to a custom avatar with the 42 usual FACS morph targets. A side effect of that is that you can get a decent virtual clone of yourself in a pinch.

Then it tracks all those FACS morphs in real time to recreate every single deformation of your face (eyes, eyelids, cheeks, jaw, nose, brows, lips...). So provided you have a matching target rig, it allows for much more subtle acting.

At last, with the aforementionned plugin, it's now a blast to use in C4D while it used to be very convoluted due to C4D lack of good FBX support (no morphs were coming through, only bones).

As for the price, I'm using the non-commercial version at the moment. For toying around and experimenting, it's very affordable and worth every penny. The freelance version is more expensive, but if it lands you paid jobs, it'll be amortized very quickly. Same for the studio version.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #17
jkettles16

I know this thread is old, but for anyone looking for more specifics on the workflow from Faceshift to C4D I have a tutorial up on my channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-u7bopBcYw

Quote, jkettles16 of Venosoft

Old 02-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #18
shibunkin
mark_71
portfolio
mark cheltenham
Animov.co.uk
Newcastle, United Kingdom

Hi, I'm new to the FaceShift workflow - it looks very promising. Have a quick question - the 42 pose morph shapes that are used to make up the facial animation - do they have to be created for each character in c4d or will faceshape export the 42 posemorph shapes as part of setting up the character?

thanks

Mark

Old 09-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #19
oliveoyle
PRO
portfolio
Olive Oyle
Master
BHG
BH, United%2BStates

Is there anything new on this subject of using Faceshift with C4D characters? I am looking for something that can also do lip sync as well as the usual facial expressions. Is the $100 Kinect sensor camera working ok with Faceshift or would I need the higher priced Asus Xtion Pro to get good results?

Old 09-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #20
Robert Glotzbach
Know-niet-All

Robert Glotzbach
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveoyle
Is there anything new on this subject of using Faceshift with C4D characters? I am looking for something that can also do lip sync as well as the usual facial expressions. Is the $100 Kinect sensor camera working ok with Faceshift or would I need the higher priced Asus Xtion Pro to get good results?

There was some mentioning of new sensors that would be on the market this year, seemingly they would be better then those now available. I am waiting for more news about this myself before I jump. I did not notice so much movement on the official faceshift site, don't know why.

Regards, Robert

Old 09-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #21
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

The windows kinect (it allows near mode) yields decent results in good lighting conditions and placed slightly below. There's often a little bit of manual polish for some "closed mouth" letters (m,b,p), but it's a matter of a couple of minutes. Don't know about the Xtion.

Overall I think it's a good solution.

Haven't tried to see if the faceshift to C4D plugin still work in R16 yet (haven't plugged the kinect for a long time).

Kinect 2 should be better, but they weren't in a hurry to support it as it seemed.
They talked about developping a headgear system and a new sensor based on a different vendor, but I haven't heard much lately. I guess it takes a bit more time.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #22
oliveoyle
PRO
portfolio
Olive Oyle
Master
BHG
BH, United%2BStates

I like Faceshift out of everything out there for markerless mocap. I tried the trial version about two years ago or so with the Asus Xtion, not their newer model Xtion Pro which has some improvements as well as adding USB 3. Same with the newer Faceshift version having improvements. I don't have a sensor camera now, I only tried the Asus Xtion out and then returned it within 30 days to NewEgg. It worked pretty good in low light. They have the Asus Xtion Pro now for $170 where all other stores are asking over $200. From what I understood before, the Kinect does not have a shorter minimum distance like the Asus, so it is not well suited for face capture, more for wide angle full body views. I read back then that someone even tried using the lenses from a cheap set of drug store glasses to magnify the the Kinect lenses to do better closeups for face capture. They popped the lenses out of the glasses frame and used scotch tape to hold it on over the Kinect camera lenses and it worked better. quite clever.

I have not looked into it all since then and I am getting the itch to jump in again and use something that I hope will also do lip syncing.

reply share thread