Old 09-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #46
dann_stubbs
insert witty tag here

Dann Stubbs
Systems Admin - ex 3D guy
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucentDreams
Not sure what you know about rendering, but there is no way a bucket could know what textures it needs to render prior to starting the rendering process. It needs to know what geometry exists before it can figure out which textures to load into ram. Considering maxon's and most standard renderers load entire textures rather than pre converting them to a proper mip map texture file format, it isn't like it can only load part of a texture either. so buckets are not going to help at all with amount of data transferred. If that was possible than renderers would already be much more efficient in terms of what they put into memory to render on a single machine than they are.

yeah i was just thinking out loud with questions as i was getting started testing - DR is new to me and i was just watching the network utilization for the 34 clients and thinking about it, but after doing a bit more testing yeah i don't think it would be much different, as also i assume the TR client caches the data/tex sent for a particular render so it's not dumping all data and resending all over again for each DR bucket?

like i said, i was just getting them installed zoning out and thinking while copying and waiting for data to move was thinking out loud on things, like the P2P traffic on ports, TR is pretty cool, still miss the NET features though...

also one thing i think i semi-expected in an update to NET was a way to limit a render to number of TR clients - i guess grouping is what is it called in most managers? (early, brain not 100% yet) like send off job to a maximum of 10 TR nodes so the others can run another job type thing... more useful with animations typically, looking forward to TR's evolution - in the meantime it sure is mesmerizing watching all those buckets.

oh - wasn't there in an earlier version of C4D i remember there were options to change the size of buckets as well as different patterns for the buckets to progress on the image - i swear i remember seeing that and trying out the different patterns (default is from center but there were things like from the outside or x patterns etc) maybe the early brain thing again

ahh just found it, under render settings/options - slow morning brain lately - does that apply to the TR as well or just rendering locally? (sorry have not tested, just thought i'd ask if you knew off hand)

thanks for the replies

dann
-

Last edited by dann_stubbs : 09-12-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #47
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread