CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
Oliveros
portfolio
Lebanon

Post Orange Juice Liquid material HELP

i'm designing an orange liquid material with vray material rendering and i'm not getting the desired result i want the orange liquid juice to be shiny, considering that i have a white background for this commercial

i've been searching over the internet and i've tried the VraySSS because the orange liquid has the subsurface scattering

could anyone provide me with the right settings to put ine the vray material settings?

thank you

Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

There is no such thing as 'right settings', each material needs to be set up for the scene it's used in.

You could start with this one

http://www.vray-materials.de/all_materials.php?mat=339

adjust it to your needs and if not satisfied ask for tips while providing rendered results.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Oliveros
portfolio
Lebanon

Orange juice already

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimski
There is no such thing as 'right settings', each material needs to be set up for the scene it's used in.

You could start with this one

http://www.vray-materials.de/all_materials.php?mat=339

adjust it to your needs and if not satisfied ask for tips while providing rendered results.

already tested it but this is not the desired result, i want it to be more saturated and shiny like this Orange Juice1

and this Orange Juice 2

please tell me what to do thanks

Old 05-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
theta2
3D Generalist

portfolio
Full Real Name
New York, USA

Don't forget you can do A LOT in the composite to dial in the look you're after. If you're getting some nice SSS from the render, just take it into the comp and tweak away at it. Render out multiple passes and play around in the comp to get it looking right. You can even render out different passes like a fresnel falloff matte and color correct using that, etc...

Don't try to get it perfect in the 3D render.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
Oliveros
portfolio
Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagavulin16
Don't forget you can do A LOT in the composite to dial in the look you're after. If you're getting some nice SSS from the render, just take it into the comp and tweak away at it. Render out multiple passes and play around in the comp to get it looking right. You can even render out different passes like a fresnel falloff matte and color correct using that, etc...

Don't try to get it perfect in the 3D render.

Yeah sure, thank you dude

but do you know or do you have any material of orange liquid done with VraySSS or any settings to put, just to apply it and render my animation??

thanks

Old 05-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
DaveWortley
<database error>

portfolio
David Wortley
Technical Director
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DaveWortley
Subsurface materials are very complex and require a certain light set up to work properly, there is very rarely a drag and drop approach for complex materials they always need tweaking and they rely on your scene being in the correct gamma and with the correct amount of light coming through, and you'll need something to reflect into it and have the right render settings.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Charkins
Digital Handyman

portfolio
Christopher Harkins
Lead CG Artist
Kitestring
Louisville, USA

I don't think sss would be the appropriate approach. I would approach it using a vraymtl, but giving special attention to refraction glossiness, fog color & fog multiplier and perhaps translucency. As I understand it, sss effects were achieved with these parameters before fastsss was available. This way you're not approximating anything (like fastsss does), so you'll get really nice reflections and a more realistic colored fluid effect. It might take longer to render, but the difference should be night and day.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
theta2
3D Generalist

portfolio
Full Real Name
New York, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliveros
Yeah sure, thank you dude

but do you know or do you have any material of orange liquid done with VraySSS or any settings to put, just to apply it and render my animation??

thanks

Yeah, here's the answer.

prepass rate 1.85
prepass id 0
scale 38.87
IOR 1.66
scatter radius 8.52
phase function .43
scatter gi...on
prepass blur 6.23
cutoff threshold .39

There ya go.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
DanGrover
Know-it-All
portfolio
Dan Grover
Technical Director
River Film
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to DanGrover
Quote:
Yeah, here's the answer.

prepass rate 1.85
prepass id 0
scale 38.87
IOR 1.66
scatter radius 8.52
phase function .43
scatter gi...on
prepass blur 6.23
cutoff threshold .39

There ya go.

Wow. All this time I've been using 0.34, not 0.43 for my phase function. I just tried it your way and... well, let's just say, the beer is on me next time you're in London. My orange juice sims will never be the same again!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charkins
I don't think sss would be the appropriate approach. I would approach it using a vraymtl, but giving special attention to refraction glossiness, fog color & fog multiplier and perhaps translucency.

Agreed. This is the way to go. In particular, play around with the fog colour/multiplier/bias. The results can be pretty impressive. If the multiplier/bias are tweaked just right I'm confident you'll get the results you're after.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
theta2
3D Generalist

portfolio
Full Real Name
New York, USA

Here's a really quick and dirty test w/o SSS, just refraction glossiness, and fog and translucency. I think it works pretty well for this. Bias is a big one for sure, seems to have the most drastic effect.

Just have to play around with the values like everyone else said. There's no magic solution for every scene.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OJ.jpg (43.6 KB, 105 views)

Old 06-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
Oliveros
portfolio
Lebanon

Amazing Man

Quote:
Here's a really quick and dirty test w/o SSS, just refraction glossiness, and fog and translucency. I think it works pretty well for this. Bias is a big one for sure, seems to have the most drastic effect.

Just have to play around with the values like everyone else said. There's no magic solution for every scene.

this is amazing man, please can you send me the settings of the fog multiplier and the bias and the others please ?? thank you

Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliveros
this is amazing man, please can you send me the settings of the fog multiplier and the bias and the others please ?? thank you

Just play around with the settings yourself. That way you'll learn how they affect the shader; rather than just typing in someone else's settings and learning nothing.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread