Lord of the posts

portfolio
Michel Cavro
CG architecture
CRISTAL sarl
Luxembourg, Luxembourg

"Rainy Street" - Call for crits

Hi Guys,
It's being too long since I've posted on CGT, and appologies for that.
The story behind this image comes from my every day experience during this winter.
Contrasts are low, and yet some colors reveal different tones especially when it rains.
This street doesn't exist. I wanted to play with the cobblestone texture and build my scene arround it.

Need some crits.

Modeling, texturing, render (Cycles) on Blender 2.6.
Touchup editing (glare and people) Gimp 2.8.

Last edited by scootermaya : 03-04-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Quartermaster
Veteran

portfolio
We're on a mission
from God (to las Vegas)
USA

Outstanding wet textures on the street. Great scene setup.

Only crits/suggestions I have is the fallen leaves seem a bit flat, I suppose is the only way to put it.

For some reason I wanna say the lighting from streetside stores ought to be more diffuse. Other than that looks like its coming together nicely.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
d4rk3lf
Expert

portfolio
Boban Krsmanovic
Nis, Serbia

Hey man, that's pretty nice.

I think you should put some more fog into the background, and also, make desaturated building as they go into the distance (but perhaps, fog will do desaturation for you).
Leaves on the grass looks too uniform. They look like they are pointed in the same direction. Make random rotation on them, and a little more chaos. Perhaps even a few on them in the air with subtle motion blur could give a dynamics to the picture.
The highest building on the left looks like it have a stretched texture. Also, I think those red bricks on the left looks too uniform.

Anyway, good piece, and it already have nice atmosphere.

Can't wait to see update.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

This is good work. The only things I think need changing are the leaves on the ground as too many of them are identical and facing the same way. Also, the cars are driving on the wrong side of the road.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
zenopelgrims
Frequenter

portfolio
Zeno Pelgrims
Student
National centre of Computer animation
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

You should revise the shader of the cars.. They look too flat. With all the lights and rain i expect a lot more reflections. Also you should introduce fog - but someone already mentioned that. The cobblestones are absolutely stunning. I feel like this piece is about to improve a lot with just a few adjustments!

Old 03-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

The lighting does look a little flat. Does Blender have some kind of indirect illumination engine?

-AJ

Old 03-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
scootermaya
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Michel Cavro
CG architecture
CRISTAL sarl
Luxembourg, Luxembourg

@ Quartermaster - Thx man, and right for the leaves. They look flat. I've must have done someting weird with the setup.

@ d4rk3lf - Thanks for the crits. I'm working on the leaves. I did add a haze effect, but maybe to soft. I'll try someting stronger. I'll check on the building textures, you must be right.

@ Dillster - You got me man! That's exactly what I thought the last time I was driving in Dublin

@ zenopelgrims - Thank you for the cobblestones. For the fog, I will check. You are right about the cars. I had to render them separetly due to memory issue (cobblestones eated most of it).

@ AJ1 - Thank you for posting. Well, I use the Cycles rendering engine (built in Blender). It is pretty young but it does some nice work allready. I think that maybe my scene has too many light sources and flatten the whole picture. I'll try a few different setups.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
scootermaya
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Michel Cavro
CG architecture
CRISTAL sarl
Luxembourg, Luxembourg

Hi guys.
Again, thank you for your feedbacks.
Here is the list of the crits source of the modifications:

- leaves direction on grass
- leave texture
- grass more reflexion
- leaves in the air, falling
- woman on left, umbrella too bright
- audi motion blur
- audi leaves sucked by the air speed
- grass higher in the center
- big building left texture
- lighting a bit "flat"
- building lights more diffuse
- bricks too repetitive
- cars reflexions
- more fog in background
- overall color balance
- desaturate building colors
- cars glare too bright

Old 03-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
d4rk3lf
Expert

portfolio
Boban Krsmanovic
Nis, Serbia

I like the first one better. You somehow loosed the atmosphere the first one have.
Instead of bringing the fog some more, it looks like you reduced it.
You get too much (cg) blackness now (you didn't had it in your first image), on car, on tree, on the buildings. I don't know if you have placed vignette in there, but if you did, I advice to remove it, or at least, reduce it.
Leaves are better, but overall feel is worse.
Sorry for crit, just being honest.

Keep us updated.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
scootermaya
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Michel Cavro
CG architecture
CRISTAL sarl
Luxembourg, Luxembourg

Thanks d4rk3lf, and certainly don't feel sory for being honest :-) I'm posting for that

I thought I did what was in the critics but I did something wrong. I'm going to see what the others have to say and correct the mess.
Thx again man

Michel

Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
Kev3D
Agent

portfolio
Kevin Russell
3D Artist
Kevisual
London, GB

Send a message via MSN to Kev3D
The wet street looks really good but the rest doesn't really match that at the moment.

Overall, I think the composition is a bit weak. If you chose a centre of interest (maybe a car or a shop front or a person) and tried to make that the focus, I think other aspects would start working better.

Reference is going to be very helpful for this project.

From my web searching it looks like if it's actually raining, the buildings should sort of fade off into fog that blends with the sky. At the moment, you have the buildings disappearing into fog that looks completely different to the sky which is making it look odd. Furthermore the image you've chosen for the sky looks like it was over-exposed, you've then gone and darkened it somewhat which has made the blown out highlights a murky grey.

The grass is looking very grey, it's difficult to differentiate it from the bitchumen.

The leaves look a bit too regular. I imagine them to be piled up in gutters and at the base of trees.

The materials on the buildings look plain and flat, they might need some ambient occlusion to bring out some details. Also, it doesn't look like it's all gelling at the moment. Look at reference and see if you can figure out some ways to make the textures on the walls and windows etc. come together a bit better.

Hope that helps

Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
scootermaya
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Michel Cavro
CG architecture
CRISTAL sarl
Luxembourg, Luxembourg

Thanks Kev3D, this is a strong critic. That blends well with what d4rk3lf wrote before. I will check my reference and identify better the main subject, re-light the scene, work on the leaves and textures.
Thank you very much to both of you. It works for me.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #13
scootermaya
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Michel Cavro
CG architecture
CRISTAL sarl
Luxembourg, Luxembourg

I changed the building texture to emphasize the low part with wet, new view angle, new lighting, worked on the trees textures, new subject with the "Blender Hotel" as main subject.

Here is the latest try :

Old 03-16-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread