sciVFX - Science needs Visual Effects!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

09 September 2017
sciVFX - Science needs Visual Effects!

Hi,

Let me to introduce sciVFX here, the developing website about photoreal (both CG and practical) scientific visualizations.
There is a growing collection from advanced scientific/data visualizations to scientifically accurate or plausible visual effects & animations, in fiction/documentary films, music videos and ads.
Two nice examples from the collection:

This project is in the trial stage and will start in 2018.

Here on CGS are many fine art quality images/animations, some are depicting superheroes who save "the world"...

Our technical existence is now making its effect on the climate of Earth, 97% of the relevant scientists agree this consensus:

http://whyscientistsdisagreeaboutglobalwarming.com/

Thus, we have a Real Planet that has to be saved from real problems
I'm sure that the creativity level of the CG/VFX artists here can hugely help to solve some of these issues... or at least visualize them!

Id known intellectually what happened but knowing it intellectually is very different from seeing it and feeling it Kip Thorne (the scientist behind the film, Interstellar)

Read more there:

https://scivfx.wordpress.com

Thank you for your attention.
All the best.
Greg / xilofoton

Last edited by xilofoton : 09 September 2017 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Broken youtube link replaced, and added a new one. + a quote to tell the essence of this project.

09 September 2017

This is a new piece and there are a lot more with behind the scenes stuff:

sciVFX - The List

You can extend them, just send any ideas with the form. Let's inspire scientists!

09 September 2017
You can add plenty of shots from Cosmos.

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

09 September 2017

Definitely, the Cosmos documentary series is one of the best examples, so this was one of the first videos there.
The full playlist is in the Documentaries section with some other stuff:
scivfx.wordpress.com/list/vfxindocumentaries/

09 September 2017
This is the "sleeper" field I've been involved in since 1997. It pays well, you can usually stretch your creative chops and being a generalist, you can have fun with 3d modeling, 2d graphics/illustration, VFX, animation and whatever.

As long as the budgets are in place and you've got the resources available to you. The best part is that the quality and constraints are typically much less than broadcast or film. You have other constraints, but one of the best parts has been how minimal the competition has been. Truly blue waters. It's getting a bit tighter now, but the bar has been raised.

09 September 2017
Thanks for this info!

I worked in wide range of projects from experimental animation shorts to Hollywood blockbusters, but at a point I left VFX and went to study earth sciences, I felt that I need totally different stuff(and less pixels) and was curious about climate change among others. I'm back in VFX, but this is the field which is the most interesting for me. I realized how much opportunities are there during the university years... and there is a lack of scientific visualizations. Especially in the education, we VFX/CG artists can hugely improve the learning experience, like this:

Behind the scenes:
http://framestorevr.com/field-trip-to-mars/

I've explained my thoughts on sciVFX with this and other examples.

reply share thread