Art Institute Online!?!?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2006
Thumbs down

Stay as far away from AI as POSSIBLE! is my advise to you.

I have been attending Ai in Boston for 3years now. They hire a lot of part time teachers that wouldn’t even qualify as a satisfactory teacher in a High school much less a college of higher learning (my personal opinion). Most of the teachers in my particular school are not enthusiastic and most of them make it a point to let you know that this is their part time job and they don’t really care. Most of the assignments are half baked. some teachers even make them up on the spot with little to no consideration for the general lesson of the assignment. There are a few good teachers in the school but way too few to mention. One particular experience that made me feel like crap was when I asked my professor why her suggestion would be better for my design. Her response was a snappy "BECAUSE I HAVE 14 years of experience" Very professional answer. Thanks. Dealing with the Administration IS A NIGHTMARE!! Most of the time they will give you a run around to find a person that can help you which almost always resulted in you finding out that the particular person is in a meeting or "is not at work today". They also ended up loosing very sensitive personal information, which contained my SSN and financial information. When I questioned an administrator about this and mentioned that this is of a sensitive nature and could result in legal actions, the guy exploded pretty much jumped up from his chair and started screaming “DONT COME IN HERE AND THREATEN ME!". I asked him to sign a piece of paper saying that he had a meeting with me and that I communicated my concerns. The guys didn’t want to sign it and then finally threw a pen and paper in my direction and said "YOU WRITE IT!" Finally got the a hole to sign it. After that happened I wanted to make sure nothing else was wrong and requested a print out of all the charges to my name in a detailed report. By doing this I discovered they charged me about $1800 for health insurance which I did not require because I had my own and housing damage charges for dorms when I lived in an apartment and not in the dorms. All of which was returned to me after a meeting with the president of the school.

I am still there strictly because transferring would be too much of a headache not to mention I have 2 semesters until I graduate. I also promised that I would tell as many people as possible the truth about that school and save them the hardship that I went through. I hope this paints a picture for you and helps you decide if AI is the right place for you.

** This was my experiance and sorry for not answering your question directly, I just wanted to inform you of what goes on in some of these places. everything that I said is stricly from my personal experiance and my personal opinion. I have been learning things for my self after school and I tend to spend more time at home learning by visiting various sites and creating my own projects as well as doing freelance design work.

Last edited by Redwolf : 12 December 2006 at 06:38 AM.

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by Redwolf: Stay as far away from AI as POSSIBLE! is my advise to you.

I have been attending Ai in Boston for 3years now. They hire a lot of part time teachers that wouldn’t even qualify as a satisfactory teacher in a High school much less a college of higher learning (my personal opinion). Most of the teachers in my particular school are not enthusiastic and most of them make it a point to let you know that this is their part time job and they don’t really care. Most of the assignments are half baked. some teachers even make them up on the spot with little to no consideration for the general lesson of the assignment. There are a few good teachers in the school but way too few to mention. One particular experience that made me feel like crap was when I asked my professor why her suggestion would be better for my design. Her response was a snappy "BECAUSE I HAVE 14 years of experience" Very professional answer. Thanks. Dealing with the Administration IS A NIGHTMARE!! Most of the time they will give you a run around to find a person that can help you which almost always resulted in you finding out that the particular person is in a meeting or "is not at work today". They also ended up loosing very sensitive personal information, which contained my SSN and financial information. When I questioned an administrator about this and mentioned that this is of a sensitive nature and could result in legal actions, the guy exploded pretty much jumped up from his chair and started screaming “DONT COME IN HERE AND THREATEN ME!". I asked him to sign a piece of paper saying that he had a meeting with me and that I communicated my concerns. The guys didn’t want to sign it and then finally threw a pen and paper in my direction and said "YOU WRITE IT!" Finally got the a hole to sign it. After that happened I wanted to make sure nothing else was wrong and requested a print out of all the charges to my name in a detailed report. By doing this I discovered they charged me about $1800 for health insurance which I did not require because I had my own and housing damage charges for dorms when I lived in an apartment and not in the dorms. All of which was returned to me after a meeting with the president of the school.

I am still there strictly because transferring would be too much of a headache not to mention I have 2 semesters until I graduate. I also promised that I would tell as many people as possible the truth about that school and save them the hardship that I went through. I hope this paints a picture for you and helps you decide if AI is the right place for you.

** This was my experiance and sorry for not answering your question directly, I just wanted to inform you of what goes on in some of these places. everything that I said is stricly from my personal experiance and my personal opinion. I have been learning things for my self after school and I tend to spend more time at home learning by visiting various sites and creating my own projects as well as doing freelance design work.

This sounds more like an isolated incident then anything. The LA campus I toured said they have one of the guys who designed Maya on their Academic board, one of the guys who wrote a popular 3DSMax book as a teacher, and various other people who are well known. Then again I went on a 30 minute tour so I'm not an expect on it.

12 December 2006
While I read through all the responses I am sad to hear of these horror-related Ai stories.

I can only speak on behalf of the Art Institute of Phoenix, Arizona and tell you that while it was never always rainbows and puppy dogs I got out exactly what I expected from it. Like mcernusca said, don't simply EXPECT to be awarded that "killer job" and "awesome portfolio" things like that are awarded to those who went far and beyond then what they are normally told to do from both their teachers and peers.

You have to devote a lot of time, dedication, patience, and love while being there because shit will happen as people have posted. I've run through similiar things as well but due to my good fortune was able to still stay focused and if anything made sure to work harder to get out of any situation was i put into.

I've already graduated and thanks to having a great number of contacts and portfolio book in hand my first "big-time" job interview lead to my first big break. How did I do this? By not depending simply on the school alone. They simply provide you the tools, it's up to you on what you do with them.

12 December 2006
Originally Posted by tleisher: This sounds more like an isolated incident then anything. The LA campus I toured said they have one of the guys who designed Maya on their Academic board, one of the guys who wrote a popular 3DSMax book as a teacher, and various other people who are well known. Then again I went on a 30 minute tour so I'm not an expect on it.

Yeah I always thought that based on locations the Ai's would have a different collection of professionals.. The Boston AI has a lot of great teachers in the Audio department, and most of the Gen Ed teachers are great. They just lack in other areas. I failed to mention that part in my previous post. My previous post seems almost like a drunken rant. They definitely sold me on the school when they took me on the tour. Bait and HOOK!. The inadequacies of the schools administrative staff and faculty are just difficult to deal with some days. However I am grateful because this school has taught me some great lessons that where not part of their normal education plan. I learned how a corporation works, also got some experience in dealing with people in a corporate setting. I am almost more interested in running a business now after seeing how their system works. It also motivated me to find things out for my self and seek educational experiences elsewhere as some of you had mentioned. It all depends on your reasons for going to school in the first place. For me It was always the thought of a degree as a safety net, I always remember thinking "if all else fails I can just get a job at some corporation for a fixed salary". I guess if you’re a motivated enough person you can master anything and be fairly successful.

Last edited by Redwolf : 12 December 2006 at 06:46 AM.

12 December 2006
Thanks a lot!

I'm thankful for everyones post and I hope to be as knowledgable on these matters as you guys so I can help others with similar concerns.

10 October 2007
I can't answer specifically about the LA school. I have friends in San Diego and know a little about that school, aswell as the Toronto campus.
I would say take the little tour with them, then go for a personal tour and talk to some students. A senior would be your best bet. They will know best what is right and what is wrong with the school.[/QUOTE]

I just started the Art Institute of San Diego. Do your friends still attend? What is their overall opinion of the school?

10 October 2007
gigahertz6, I sent you a private message.

10 October 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread